Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

My best friend’s Violin Shop is closing

Jay Rury has been my dearest friend for over 30 years. He’s honest, he’s knowledgeable and he’s humble enough to realize that he doesn’t have all the answers and is always seeking more. He would rather lose money than disappoint a customer. He has been everyone’s friend and everyone’s excellent artisan for almost 40 years. 

And he announced yesterday that his shop is closing at the end of October and I am heartbroken.

I’m sure everybody here knows someone with that kind of character and that kind of spirit.

Think for a moment about losing that person And you’ll have an inkling of how I feel.

I am loath to criticise American grammar, but surely you mean “My best friend is closing his violin shop”. Assuming he is still alive, I fail to see what difference it makes to you, if he is your best friend.

15 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I am loath to criticise American grammar, but surely you mean “My best friend is closing his violin shop”. Assuming he is still alive, I fail to see what difference it makes to you, if he is your best friend.

You are correct, Jacob, but no one appointed you hall monitor.

19 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Keep them zingers comin'!  yer the funniest thang on this here Maestronet!

23 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

:angry:

the verb, "to close", has multiple accepted meanings. The phrase "the store is closing" is a very common and acceptable usage that can indicate that business hours are ending for day, or for all time.

The verb, "to open" can be used in the same way.

"The store is opening."

"My friend's store is opening."

If the store does not exist, it means someone is starting up a business at some location.

If the store does exist, it means someone is getting the store ready to conduct daily business hours.

I am sorry that my meaning was not clear. Somebody needs to go back to school. It may be me…maybe not. 

Jay is closing his shop. He is not dying, and he will remain my best friend. I am not mourning the loss of my friend, I am mourning the loss of my friend’s violin shop, which is one of the very few places I have ever been in where the relationship and the trust is more important than the money. I have never had business dealings with anyone who is kinder, more sincere, more genuine than Jay.

One day long ago, a violin walked into Jay’s shop off the street. It had been in the attic for years and the heat had melted the glue and partially damaged the varnish. The violin was almost literally in pieces.

It was an Enrique Rocca.  It was in bad shape but it was restorable. Some violin shop owners would have taken advantage of the ignorance of the person who had the violin, but Jay did not. He told the person what the violin was and what the violin needed, which was an expert restoration. He worked with the owner of the violin and at the end everybody was happy.

Another time, a Becker violin walked in off the street, and Jay told the guy what he had. I know lots of people who would have told the guy as little as possible about the instrument and done their best to buy it for a pittance( think Betts) But Jay told the guy what he had, that it was a special violin worth a special amount of money. I don’t know how that particular interaction ended up.

When Jay’s shop closes, That will be gone.

That is what I am mourning. Ist klar, Jakob?

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Jesus, you are an ass. 

I hope you finally get some help, because there is clearly something wrong with you.

58 minutes ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Actually, he’s not correct.I just reread my comment and there’s nothing to clarify. My friend’s violin shop is closing. It should not be necessary to specify that he is the one who is closing it, because that’s clear from the context.

It just occurred to me that It might be necessary, for some, for me to clarify that my comment, “…a violin walked in off the street,” does not actually indicate a violin walking into the shop and saying,” look at me and tell me what I am,” but instead refers to someone bringing in the instrument… Presumably from their house. Although they did use the street.

:-)

Edited by PhilipKT
Many many things.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Actually, he’s not correct.I just reread my comment and there’s nothing to clarify. My friend’s violin shop is closing. It should not be necessary to specify that he is the one who is closing it, because that’s clear from the context.

It sounds like the naughty shop is closeing itself, making your poor friend homeless. There can be different reasons to close a shop, even positive ones.

2 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Everyone in favor of Jacob being the MN hall monitor raise their right hand! :lol:

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

It just occurred to me that It might be necessary, for some, for me to clarify that my comment, “…a violin walked in off the street,” does not actually indicate a violin walking into the shop and say, “look at me and tell me what I am,” but instead refers to someone bringing in the instrument… Presumably from their house. Although they did use the street.

:-)

Thanks for ruining the cartoon skit running through my head. :)

3 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

Everyone in favor of Jacob being the MN hall monitor raise their right hand! :lol:

We might not agree in much, but for sure in this.:rolleyes:

The title of the post is grammatically correct.  the verb "closing" relates to the direct object, "violin shop," and is also linked to the possessive form of the "best friend."

In any event, duh...OF COURSE it is a sad moment when a violin shop closes, especially if it belonged to a good person and friend.  I am so sorry to hear the news PhilipKT. 

2 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I stand corrected. You are right, but Jacob is still an annoyance. :P

It’s sad news indeed to hear your trusted shop is closing its doors for good. It always feels as though the violin world has gotten a little smaller when a well-established shop place isn’t there anymore.

On the brighter side, it’s good that your friend is shutting down the business at his own will. And good shops leave a lasting impression on other luthiers. The tradition never dies.