Sign in to follow this  
Julian Cossmann Cooke

Spirit Varnish for the Convinced and the Curious

On 5/23/2020 at 4:06 PM, Special Agent Ransac said:

I have been experimenting with spirit varnishes lately. I bought some Copal resin and tried to dissolve it in Methylated spirits - without success.

Some of it dossolved but the are balck particle suspended in the jar and a gooey residue at the bottom.

Does it have to be a specific type of Copal to make spirit varnish?

I also have Sandarac beads which I intend to dissolve in Isoproanol.

I'm just starting out with all these different resins wherea previously I just used shellac flakes and even the ready mixed button shellac.

Can someone confirm that Methylated spirits (the purple stuff) is essentially Isopropanol with a dye added to stop you from drinking it.

Michael.

You can use Bio ethanol. It's basically ethanol with an added denaturant but without the added purple dye i.e. it's water clear. 

It's commonly used for stoves and fires. The large DIY shops often sell it. Also available on the auction site. Cheap, well it is compared to Everclear. 

Methylated spirits (at least in Europe) does not contain methanol. It's ethanol with a touch of propanol, ethyl methyl ketone and the dye. It's now a standardised recipe throughout the EU. In the US it may still contain methanol but I'm not familiar with the current practice. 

The strong (97% +) isopropanol also works. It's slower to flash off than ethanol but in real life the difference is marginal, to say the least.  

On 6/5/2020 at 12:44 AM, Michael.N. said:

You can use Bio ethanol. It's basically ethanol with an added denaturant but without the added purple dye i.e. it's water clear. 

It's commonly used for stoves and fires. The large DIY shops often sell it. Also available on the auction site. Cheap, well it is compared to Everclear. 

Methylated spirits (at least in Europe) does not contain methanol. It's ethanol with a touch of propanol, ethyl methyl ketone and the dye. It's now a standardised recipe throughout the EU. In the US it may still contain methanol but I'm not familiar with the current practice. 

The strong (97% +) isopropanol also works. It's slower to flash off than ethanol but in real life the difference is marginal, to say the least.  

I have been using bioethanol for many years. The stuff I'm buying (for 2-3EUR per liter) is 99.97% ethanol with just trace amount of denaturants (MEK+bitrex). NEVER had better stuff! And I found the shellac solution in this doesn't go bad even after few years...

I'm in the EU and in our country there is no colored version. But the "technical ethanol" sold in HW stores can be anything generally 80+% ethanol plus denaturants. No methanol, AFAIK that is not allowed here.

I'd used ethanol from pharmacy either the lab grade ethanol 95% that cost as much as everclear in US or what they call here "benzinalkohol" which is the same with with some organic stuff added (something like naphtha).

On May 24, 2020 at 12:06 AM, Special Agent Ransac said:

I have been experimenting with spirit varnishes lately. I bought some Copal resin and tried to dissolve it in Methylated spirits - without success.

Some of it dossolved but the are balck particle suspended in the jar and a gooey residue at the bottom.

Does it have to be a specific type of Copal to make spirit varnish?

I also have Sandarac beads which I intend to dissolve in Isoproanol.

I'm just starting out with all these different resins wherea previously I just used shellac flakes and even the ready mixed button shellac.

Can someone confirm that Methylated spirits (the purple stuff) is essentially Isopropanol with a dye added to stop you from drinking it.

Michael.

Most types of copal don't dissolve in alcohol except Manila copal. 

Isopropanol is poisonous so no need to add something. It can be used to dissolve most of the rosins which dissolve in ethanol as well. The only advantage I know of is that varnish made with isopropanol doesn't attract water in humid climate as fast as varnish made with ethanol.