Sign in to follow this  
Byrdbop

Brompton's Sept auction - bow query

It could be that the seller insisted on the higher estimate and reserve, because he/she believes the bow was identifably made by a known and respected maker. And for all I know, maybe it was. :D

2 hours ago, Three13 said:

What’s the brand on it? I couldn’t quite make it out on my phone...

A LAMY A PARIS

20 hours ago, Byrdbop said:

( link... )

Why does this bow command such a high estimate?  Incorrect listing?

This is the difficulty of internet auctions. The octagonal taper, facets are attractive to me as is the profile of the tip. I like that the frog has not been abused. Some attractive, softened details on the button. At this price, the potential bidder would be a player, as a collector would pass on this.

The finish and the coarseness of the grain would keep me from bidding very high. These should not be the only factors, as when it comes to how it would feel in the hand, that overrides many blemishes. But i can not play the bow, nor can we see the belly. A stick under tension coul also say quite a bit about the quality.

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

It could be that the seller insisted on the higher estimate and reserve, because he/she believes the bow was identifably made by a known and respected maker. And for all I know, maybe it was. :D

This could be it. Or typo? ... I should keep my opinions to myself as the seller might know something i do not. 

5 hours ago, GoPractice said:

Or typo?

If it was a typo, it would need to have been made 3 times - the high estimate, the low estimate, and the starting bid.

12 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

If it was a typo, it would need to have been made 3 times - the high estimate, the low estimate, and the starting bid.

Indeed