Sign in to follow this  
violinbridges

Bridge Paper Published and Brexit

As promised a long time ago here is a link to our paper published by the VSA

Statistical Analysis of Bridges for Violin, Viola and Cello

on another note it looks like a few of the English auctions have moved their October sale dates because this nonsense that is brexit.

I know amberviolins who have a small sale ending on the 3/09 have also moved their fine sale to October the 21st.

I have heard tarisio and bromtons are doing the same, perhaps amati too.

1 hour ago, violinbridges said:

on another note it looks like a few of the English auctions have moved their October sale dates because this nonsense that is brexit.

I know amberviolins who have a small sale ending on the 3/09 have also moved their fine sale to October the 21st.

I have heard tarisio and bromtons are doing the same, perhaps amati too.

Amati have an "affordable" sale in September and a fine sale in October as usual.

Ingles & Hayday, Tarisio, Bromptons, Amati and Amber all have sales in late October as usual.

So I don't think anyone has moved anything.

6 hours ago, martin swan said:

Amati have an "affordable" sale in September and a fine sale in October as usual.

Ingles & Hayday, Tarisio, Bromptons, Amati and Amber all have sales in late October as usual.

No, but it did provide another opportunity for the OP to plug a certain site, while trying to disguise the intent.

Morning all, I thought I would drop in to say that yes - Tarisio, Brompton's, Ingles Hayday and Amati are all moving their sales earlier in October to try and avoid some of the inevitable fall-out from the Halloween deadline. 

I hope that it helps you all to have fractionally more stability while viewing, and I can only apologise for the soap-opera of politics over the last three years. Grim.

Hope you all had a good Summer, and everybody over here sends their best wishes,

JKB

I got this email from Amber today:

Please Note, due to imminent self destruct Brexit Disaster, our next auction will be on October 21st, with Viewing 20th/21st in London, after which we may choose to move to a more civilised country in the EU.

I’m getting pretty tired of this sort of thing, since the UK voted in a referendum 3! years ago to leave the EU, and the uncertainty is caused by zealots who don’t want to accept that they lost the referendum, preferring an eternal purgatory . I moved to Austria in 1985, 10 years before Austria joined the EU, and life functioned perfectly. After the Brexit dust settles, things will work themselves out, even if I have to pay 3% duty on instruments I import from England (like I have to from the US now). Just because a country is not in the EU, doesn’t mean you can’t do business with people there.

Quite well written and persuasively argued, as you'd expect. But it carefully skirts, IMHO, the issue of issues involved. The losses J. Bull Gadgets & Widgets, Ltd. will face by having its continental markets closed off by tariffs are as nothing in comparison to those that will result from having the rug pulled out from under the City of London in European finance.

Those with the most skin in the game are, IMHO, the bond clippers and banksters.

FWIW (assuming anything).

No hysteria here, but It is all a bit of a mess, and has been for some time, its clearly shows we are a divided country and the only way forward is compromise on all sides.

What ever happens I am a European at heart, I identify as a European and I need to find a way to continue to work with and respect those who do not share my views.

back to topic anybody seen anything nice in the auction that they care to share

On 9/2/2019 at 1:20 PM, martin swan said:

My private informations are the opposite, that every auction house changed their calendar according to the expected Halloween event,  monster bureaucratics and loss of every control, exactly what was promised.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

My private informations are the opposite, that every auction house changed their calendar according to the expected Halloween event,  monster bureaucratics and loss of every control, exactly what was promised.:ph34r:

Reminds me of the "YK2 Bug" when everyone got their knickers in a twist, and then nothing happened

22 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Reminds me of the "YK2 Bug" when everyone got their knickers in a twist, and then nothing happened

Exactly. That's why on the continent actually nobody is afraid of any hard or other Brexit and Johnson's plan (if he had one) didn't work. My bank has moved from London to Hamburg in the meantime.

Ok, my Irish neighbour said, they should give back what they don't own before leaving.:unsure:

BTW,  regarding buying and selling instruments at auctions or otherwise: Importing musical instruments from outside the EU means usually to pay 19% VAT in Germany and an additional "Warenzollsatz" of 3,7%. With an international VAT number (ID) and being "vorsteuerabzugsberechtigt" (a nice composite German word;)) you don't need to pay the 19% or can get it back when making your tax declaration, but every private person can't do this and would need to pay the whole 22,7%.

Exporting anything outside the EU being worth more than 999 Euro including shipping costs, assurances etc. forces me actually to spend half a day driving to the Hauptzollamt (central customs office) in Berlin-Marzahn, showing it to an officer, proving that it isn't something like important cultural heritage, Cite regulated or other forbidden stuff and paying an 80 Euro fee for "Anmeldung". The same, just the other way round, is necessary for re-import maybe after a trial period or failing to sell at an auction. That's something I'm usually avoiding, because there are actually enough customers within the (not British) EU, where the only thing to do is packing a card box, printing a shipping label and walk a minute to the next shop.

6 hours ago, violinbridges said:

No hysteria here, but It is all a bit of a mess, and has been for some time, its clearly shows we are a divided country and the only way forward is compromise on all sides.

What ever happens I am a European at heart, I identify as a European and I need to find a way to continue to work with and respect those who do not share my views.

back to topic anybody seen anything nice in the auction that they care to share

well spoken!

The loss of my european citizenship post Brexit will be the hardest to bear, both from a professional and personal perspective

19 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Nothing happened because a hell of a lot of computer professionals around the world worked their tails off for around 4 years to make certain that nothing would.  They were involved in massive Y2K projects to convert business systems (mostly on mainframes) to handle 4-digit years instead of 2-digit years.  If they hadn't accomplished their tasks, there would have been a world economic meltdown in 2000 when all the corporate and governmental business software  (that moves the money and goods around on time) went nuts.  :P

The British government, by contrast, has let their side down very badly indeed.  The instant the vote was tallied, they should have "hit the ground running".  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

The instant the vote was tallied

We are just looking from outside. But the main problem from this point of view seems to be that this instant vote wasn't and couldn't be clear about the way it should be executed, "hard" or "soft" with all possible shades in between. Beside all other problems like close to 50:50, two important regions with majorities against it, and several more. The result is what we are seeing now and is described as a divided country, and politics or parliament are mirroring this only.

Just what's happening when complex questions are broken down to simple populistic yes or no schemes.

Blankie just beat me to the draw and hit the bullseye. The problem is that everyone knows what "should" be done, even the intelligent ones who should know better, and everyone knows why everyone who doesn't agree with them is wrong

when complex questions are broken down to simple populistic yes or no schemes.

Alive / Dead

Guilty / Not Guilty

Married / Single

Expecting a Child / Not Expecting a Child

Employed / Unemployed

Male / Female

Human / Animal

Works for me.

Just as there are people who see no essential difference between marriage and prostitution.

The assumptions you begin with determine your conclusions.