Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnviolin

Neck profile templates

Michael Doran recently made a post about his neck profile templates. 

It reminded me  that I didn’t have any and that I want some! 

I have always carved necks by feel and eye, but lately I am feeling like I would like a little more precision.

Does anyone one have any advice on designing the shape? Or maybe have a good template they would be willing to scan? 

Another great source: the Strads and Other Models Database pinned at the top of the Pegbox threads list.  Our late friend and MN stalwart, Addie, put together this database and generously shared it with our community.  At least a couple of scroll/box/neck profiles in the database which may be helpful.

30 minutes ago, Peter K-G said:

Yes!

Thank you Julian

I have had the priviledge to sponsor a book for late Addie and I have gathered his magnificent work here

http://www.thestradsound.com/maestronet/stradivari-forma-by-addie

This is my go-to source when people ask for this kind of information.  It really is a treasure of the trade!  As is the thread on the same subject.

15 minutes ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

This is my go-to source when people ask for this kind of information.  It really is a treasure of the trade!  As is the thread on the same subject.

Mine too!

I hope that his legacy lives on for generations to come. 

The Weisshaar book has a decent template.  From my experience, it is not  the template that is the issue, but how one uses the template and the concepts around constructing the shape that make the biggest difference between a good neck and one that needs work. 

19 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

The Weisshaar book has a decent template.  From my experience, it is not  the template that is the issue, but how one uses the template and the concepts around constructing the shape that make the biggest difference between a good neck and one that needs work. 

A reminder that needs to be repeated periodically, Jerry, so thank you.  A reminder that a template is only that.  Michelangelo might just as well have used one to cut the marble down to size because everything else was eye, art, and method to get David into his final form.  Or his Pieta.  That parallel goes only so far, however.

The difference is that we are making something utilitarian.  How it is going to feel, I would argue, counts for more than how it looks.  And no template is going to bring you to that point without the maker engaging his or her senses and knowledge of players.

Thanks for the soapbox, Jerry.  My apologies to all.  I seem to be on a tear in all things today.  An episode of hypomania, perhaps.

20 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

So true! I’ll check out the template in weisshaar.