Sign in to follow this  
violins88

NRA advertisement

On my screen, On the maestronet page, I am getting a picture of Wayne Lapierre and a message asking me to take a survey. I find his picture offensive. I clicked on the “x” to remove it. A message from google came up asking if I wanted this ad removed. I clicked yes. Then the same ad popped up on the other side of the screen.

if these ads continue, I shall not be viewing maestronet, thank you.

It might have to do with the browser configuration if you are seeing such ads. A while ago I had strange advertisements of extremistic/fundamentalistic European groups, too, or sort of "partners from Russia" etc. This junk seems to be possible at American servers only, European websites usually don't show them. After installing new browser versions with add blockers I don't see it anymore.

2 hours ago, violins88 said:

45 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

I don't see them. That may be something on your end.

Sounds like it to me, too.

Before you give up on Maestronet (which would be a shame), it might be worth taking a quick look at something seemingly unrelated to see if it gives you a more palatable experience:

The Maestronet website seems to delegate the business of advertising (other than the dealers, on the front page) entirely to Google, hence it was Google that offered you the chance to remove the advert you saw. When you load the page, it will be using its highly sophisticated "ad personalization" services to sell/place the adverts you see - this will also be true for countless other websites as well.

If you are viewing Maestronet while logged-in to a google acount (gmail, etc.), then the personalization settings associated with that account will potentially be used to select the adverts you see - given that you are the "Maestronet knife guy", I can imagine there might be keywords in your email/web history that will match the audience targeted with Mr. Lapierre's surveys...

If so, your web browsing experience might improve if you manually change your ad-personalzation settings - this process is described here: https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662856

Alternatively, you might like to try browsing to Maestronet using a "private" or "incognito" mode in your web-browser - this should have a similar effect, without changing anything in any google account you may have.

And finally, should you wish to pry the advertising dollar from Google's cold, digital hands entirely, there are browser extensions that remove all adverts of this kind for most modern browsers (certainly chromium and firefox, probably edge etc.) - I'm sure lots of Maestronet users will use these and can offer advice as to what works but I can email you a list of the extensions that I use, if it is helpful. 

Good luck,

22 minutes ago, notsodeepblue said:

Before you give up on Maestronet (which would be a shame), it might be worth taking a quick look at something seemingly unrelated to see if it gives you a more palatable experience:

The Maestronet website seems to delegate the business of advertising (other than the dealers, on the front page) entirely to Google, hence it was Google that offered you the chance to remove the advert you saw. When you load the page, it will be using its highly sophisticated "ad personalization" services to sell/place the adverts you see - this will also be true for countless other websites as well.

If you are viewing Maestronet while logged-in to a google acount (gmail, etc.), then the personalization settings associated with that account will potentially be used to select the adverts you see - given that you are the "Maestronet knife guy", I can imagine there might be keywords in your email/web history that will match the audience targeted with Mr. Lapierre's surveys...

If so, your web browsing experience might improve if you manually change your ad-personalzation settings - this process is described here: https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662856

Alternatively, you might like to try browsing to Maestronet using a "private" or "incognito" mode in your web-browser - this should have a similar effect, without changing anything in any google account you may have.

And finally, should you wish to pry the advertising dollar from Google's cold, digital hands entirely, there are browser extensions that remove all adverts of this kind for most modern browsers (certainly chromium and firefox, probably edge etc.) - I'm sure lots of Maestronet users will use these and can offer advice as to what works but I can email you a list of the extensions that I use, if it is helpful. 

Good luck,

That’s very valuable. I use DuckDuckGo for my browsing and often go incognito at random times.

I have no problem at all with the NRA ads but for some reason at my Baltimore Orioles site, which is structured exactly like this one, I’m frequently getting ads for Muslim single women, which is a real head scratcher.

39 minutes ago, notsodeepblue said:

Good luck,

Thanks. Very informative and helpful.

Yeah. It's not a Maestronet thing. More of a Google thing. 

I'm one of the many scum of the earth that has AdBlock turned on at all times. 

Remember what I said about my Baltimore orioles site? Well I just popped over there to see what shaking in Baltimore, and right at the top of the page was that same NRA ad,, ha ha Ha ha ha.

It is certainly better than ads for single Muslim women, at least.

For some reason, I get ads for a plus-sized women’s clothing brand when I’m on here. I’m male, and while I could lose 20 pounds, I’ve never cross dressed. I think the algorithms they’re using might be a bit wonky.

edited to add - now I have the NRA ad. Google really doesn’t know me.

Here in FAKEWORLD, you see what you want to see, or sometimes, like in this case, they show you stuff you don't want to see. intentionally, just like this, just to illicit the reaction that your having. I mean you are aware that just about everything you say in "private" is being listened to by them, on  everything from your phone to your appliances, and so it is not uncommon in this day and age for things to come right back to you...

So the reality is that it has nothing to do with MN, but everything to do with a "private" conversation you had about guns with someone either on the phone or in type.

Well,hopefully someone will put a stop to all this google be evil stuff :rolleyes:

I dunno, I guess it's all funny to me, I mean, I'd think one would want a weapon in the up and coming intentionally created civil war.

It's ironic really, that  some peoples hatred of guns will be the reason that they will need to pick one up and be forced to use it.

CATFOOD

ALZHEIMER

ASIAN WOMEN

just give it some time

7 hours ago, violins88 said:

Maybe a little harsh? The ads you get, as far as I can tell, are a result of your personal searching/surfing.

MN is free.  That's wonderful. They shouldn't be held responsible for somehow filtering ads for personal accounts.

I'm currently getting ads for guitar equipment  - I  can ignore those if I  want to. ^_^

4 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Yeah. It's not a Maestronet thing. More of a Google thing. 

I'm one of the many scum of the earth that has AdBlock turned on at all times. 

25 minutes ago, palousian said:

AdBlock Plus, folks.  It's currently blocking four ads on this page for me. 

Yup.  Works for me too.   Until I did, Google (or actually, an ad linking subcontractor) was trying to interest me in a very peculiar mix of goods, including a scantily-clad Ukrainian lady that turned up after I did some research on Impressionist nudes, Rubens, and the like.  :lol:

I don’t really pay any attention to the ads. They don’t reflect Maestronet’s views, which have nothing to do with politics anyway. I can’t think of anything I’ve ever wanted or purchased because a Google banner popped up. Just ignore it. 

I Get adverts for SHAR all the time, not just on Maestronet, the same if I want to read the Daily Telegraph or something else. „Pinky“ positioner, (whatever a "pinky" is) and other plastic crap. I always think to myself „blimey, Burgess worked there, I wonder what he did" 

Google does it.   I get ebay listings that I looked at yesterday.  I often will click on those listings and go back and revisit what's offered.  Google knows that if they do it enough, it works, and might sell something.

6 hours ago, Rue said:

Maybe a little harsh? The ads you get, as far as I can tell, are a result of your personal searching/surfing.

MN is free.  That's wonderful. They shouldn't be held responsible for somehow filtering ads for personal accounts.

I'm currently getting ads for guitar equipment  - I  can ignore those if I  want to. ^_^

You’re great.

come have some coffee.

bring the guns and swords.

I really like Martin’s Ad. So poignant.

I feel sorry for Larry. He’s a swell guy, but.....

and we’ve all been Larry, and we’ve all lost our loves to Martin Swan and his violins.

37 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I really like Martin’s Ad. So poignant.

True, but I am much more interested in what is coming in April 2006.

infield ad.jpg

52 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

True, but I am much more interested in what is coming in April 2006.

infield ad.jpg

what? they're getting their money's worth :lol:

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

I feel sorry for Larry. He’s a swell guy, but.....

and we’ve all been Larry, and we’ve all lost our loves to Martin Swan and his violins.

I am stealing this for lyrics, so if it becomes a huge hit PhilipKT and Martin will get minor writing credits.

9 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I Get adverts for SHAR all the time, not just on Maestronet, the same if I want to read the Daily Telegraph or something else. „Pinky“ positioner, (whatever a "pinky" is) and other plastic crap. I always think to myself „blimey, Burgess worked there, I wonder what he did" 

You can't seriously be giving Burgess shit for where he once worked?