Sign in to follow this  
Michael H

Alfred Knoll cello bow

Not a remarkable bow, by any means, but the playability is quite a bit better than most German cottage bows I have owned. Pernambuco is well-figured, in my opinion. Regardless, it is just a standard nickel-mounted German bow circa 1960. Have I overlooked something?

CDE69C37-0076-4C79-B75C-7878F823374F.jpeg

0A0870B8-1B85-4A05-A381-0A5456E229A6.jpeg

Brazilwood would be more appropriate to the grade of a typical Knoll bow.  The darker-grained specs do make it appear pernambuco.  I’ve seen a few that are pernambuco, although silver-mounted. I do not expect much as this bow was intended for export, as there is a “Germany” stamp near the mortise. The juxtaposition between what appears pernambuco, to me, and the fittings has me wondering if this might be considered more of a mid-grade bow, rather than the low-grade I feel it is. Chamfer is not well-defined, but still a bit better than low-grade.  Still, if it is brasilwood, I would expect an inversion of grain appearance.

To me, this is a basic Brazilwood nickel mounted bow, the type of things that were exported by the thousands.
I'm sure it plays fine as you mentioned earlier, and looks to be in fair condition.

I’ve owned about a dozen of these bows. They were all silver mounted and more blonde than this one, but they were all excellent student bows and I’m very happy to pick one up.

I wonder if the nickel mounting was only used on lower level bows? I’ve actually never seen a nickel mounted example. The ebony on this one looks good quality.

well, on closer inspection, not exceptional but not bad for a student bow.

Pernambuco by no means implies that this bow is quality. Already mentioned by several, this is no more remarkable than the other hundreds of thousands produced.  But tell me this is pernambuco so I can confirm I am not color blind. 

7CFC78DF-B97E-4E10-A3D7-074DBC2627E2.jpeg

Edited by Michael H