Sign in to follow this  
mendicus

18th c. Salzkammergut?

The label looks right and the model, too. Sometimes cheap old Markneukirchen and Salzkammergut are hard (or not at all) to distinguish, but this one has a real purfling, what's unusual at Salzkammergut.

I forgot to mention that purfling is painted, that is why I thought it is more likely Salzkammergut than Reichel. Did Reichel made violins without purfling? If it is Reichel, which one? I have found on internet that father and son had same name.

I have a "Johann Georg Gütter" from 1780, which I would have sworn was from the Salzkammergut, if it didn't have a label, so I agree with BF, it can be impossible to tell

58 minutes ago, mendicus said:

I forgot to mention that purfling is painted, that is why I thought it is more likely Salzkammergut than Reichel. Did Reichel made violins without purfling? If it is Reichel, which one? I have found on internet that father and son had same name.

On a second look you are right, but the inking of the strpes is very neatly and deceiving here!

Zoebisch is listing four different Johann Gottfried Reichels in roughly the same time span! Father, two sons, and another one not directly related. Furthermore he explains that the Reichel family was so widespread that the dates of many similar named makers were confused, so that it's hard to tell who lived when and made a particular violin.

In general they all were working after a sort of "Reichel-model", and especialyl father and son would have used an almost identical. Maybe one could wait untill you'll find another example signed as made in "Nürnberg", this could be the same person.;)But at least it won't make much of a difference IMO.