Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bress

Edi Malinaric

Hi Folks,

Like a bad news phone call I'll start with Edi's ok.  I heard from Rose this morning that Edi is in the hospital recovering from a TIA.  Edi wants to let people know everyone can have a break (from him?), but he'll be back. 

Wait, was that a terminator quote??   I'm sure Edi will be watching the boards, so let's carry on and give him some interesting puzzles to ponder. :)

-Jim

Interesting puzzles:

ummmmm ok.

so the rooster is sitting on top of a roof pointing north-south.The wind is blowing at 90 degrees to the roof.

when the rooster lays an egg, will it  fall to the east or west?

Start of with the easy ones: Imagine that you have three violas, one containing two black marbles, one containing two white marbles, and the third, one black marble and one white marble. The violas were labeled for their contents - BB, WW, BW - but someone has switched the labels so that every viola is now incorrectly labeled. You are allowed to take one marble at a time out of any viola, without looking inside, and by this process of sampling, you are to determine the contents of all three violas. What is the smallest number of drawings needed to do this?

Ozdravi se i vrati se uskoro. Cijenimo vas talent za sve!

I am designing a new collapsible form based on a description in D. Lashof's book that he made 40 years ago using three pieces of 4mm aviation plywood (impossible to find).  I am using 6mm , 3mm, and 3mm (readily available).  Pictures are on my contemporary build.  It was a way of making your own tongue and groove form without the use of special router bit.  My puzzling question is "Will it be strong enough ?"

2 hours ago, Rue said:

Did Edi lose his marbles???

Hurry back Edi!!! :)

He had marbles?

Recover well, Ed. Neuroplasticity is your friend.

5 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Interesting puzzles:

ummmmm ok.

so the rooster is sitting on top of a roof pointing north-south.The wind is blowing at 90 degrees to the roof.

Roosters don't lay eggs

Yes, prayers for Edi.  A man of many experiences, and stories.  I picture him in a 40 foot sailboat, in 30 foot swells.  That will bring prayer.

Get well Edi.

16 minutes ago, Ken_N said:

...a 40 foot sailboat, in 30 foot swells....

And I'm amazed he didn't get sea-sick!

:wacko:

1 hour ago, violguy said:

Roosters don't lay eggs

6 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Interesting puzzles:

ummmmm ok.

Whoa there, let's apply some logic ...

The puzzle stipulates "when the rooster lays an egg", so the fact that roosters don't lay eggs is immaterial. In the internal universe of the puzzle, the rooster will indeed lay an egg.

The puzzle doesn't stipulate whether the roof is pointing north-south or the rooster is pointing north-south. This is problematic. Nor do we have any way of discerning which way the wind is blowing, since we have no definite information about the orientation of the roof. So instead of 2 choices (assuming the roof is N/S) we have an infinity of possible wind directions. For all we know, the rooster could be pointing north south but sitting on the apex of two rooves pointing respectively SSW/NNE and WNW/ENE. And that's only if the rooves join at right angles.

There is also no information about wind speed, or about how far the fantastical egg will travel before it hits a surface which may or may not be sloped.

So this is one of the crappest and most pointless puzzles I have ever come across.

Best wishes to Edi ;)

7 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Interesting puzzles:

ummmmm ok.

Martin beat me to excoriating you for this.  :P

Edi, get well soon, you got volumes of memoirs to write!!  :)

4 hours ago, martin swan said:

The puzzle stipulates "when the rooster lays an egg", so the fact that roosters don't lay eggs is immaterial. In the internal universe of the puzzle, the rooster will indeed lay an egg.

The puzzle doesn't stipulate whether the roof is pointing north-south or the rooster is pointing north-south. This is problematic. Nor do we have any way of discerning which way the wind is blowing, since we have no definite information about the orientation of the roof. So instead of 2 choices (assuming the roof is N/S) we have an infinity of possible wind directions. For all we know, the rooster could be pointing north south but sitting on the apex of two rooves pointing respectively SSW/NNE and WNW/ENE. And that's only if the rooves join at right angles.

There is also no information about wind speed, or about how far the fantastical egg will travel before it hits a surface which may or may not be sloped.

So this is one of the crappest and most pointless puzzles I have ever come across.

Best wishes to Edi ;)

:-) ok how about the one about what animal can jump higher than a mountain??

14 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

:-) ok how about the one about what animal can jump higher than a mountain??

Roy Hattersley (an old school Labour politician) was once interviewed about an incident at a public meeting ...

"I believe you were hit by a chair ..."

"No, I was hit by an assailant wielding a chair"

5 hours ago, martin swan said:

Best wishes to Edi ;)

the chicken will fall fall onto the side that has the white grape...100% of the time

5 hours ago, martin swan said:

Best wishes to Edi ;)

Oh, Martin, for Cripes' sake.

10 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Start of with the easy ones: Imagine that you have three violas, one containing two black marbles, one containing two white marbles, and the third, one black marble and one white marble. The violas were labeled for their contents - BB, WW, BW - but someone has switched the labels so that every viola is now incorrectly labeled. You are allowed to take one marble at a time out of any viola, without looking inside, and by this process of sampling, you are to determine the contents of all three violas. What is the smallest number of drawings needed to do this?

African or European violas?

Speedy recovery, Edi!