Sign in to follow this  
Nick Allen

Violin ID

Recommended Posts

I have a violin that someone wants to know if it's worth restoring or not. I forgot to take a picture of the label, but it says G A Pfrezschner, which I am aware was a 19th century wholesaler. 

The scroll fluting extends till about 4:30 on this one. It also needs to have the FB to neck surface either re planed, or have a new FB made at first glance. 

Thanks guys. 

IMG_20190820_131828.jpg

IMG_20190820_131904.jpg

IMG_20190820_131835.jpg

IMG_20190820_131858.jpg

IMG_20190820_131927.jpg

IMG_20190820_131930.jpg

IMG_20190820_131934.jpg

IMG_20190820_132005.jpg

IMG_20190820_131937.jpg

IMG_20190820_131945.jpg

IMG_20190820_132028.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ID is "good Dutzendarbeit"; the varnish seems to be better than usual. To tell if it's worth a restoration one would need to know what kind of work is necessary; at first glance I would say yes. Is there a problem with the neck/button?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blank face said:

The ID is "good Dutzendarbeit"; the varnish seems to be better than usual. To tell if it's worth a restoration one would need to know what kind of work is necessary; at first glance I would say yes. Is there a problem with the neck/button?

I didn't see anything wrong with the button immediately, then again, I didn't look to hard. 

I figured that it was a better made Markneukirchen going off of the varnish and purfling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blank face said:

The ID is "good Dutzendarbeit"; the varnish seems to be better than usual. To tell if it's worth a restoration one would need to know what kind of work is necessary; at first glance I would say yes. Is there a problem with the neck/button?

I don’t see anything wrong with the button. What are you seeing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like a nice solid violin to me. It’s got a wing crack, but those are generally minor. The fingerboard looks very low so the neck might need to be reset, and I don’t know how complicated or expensive that is.

It looks like it would clean up very nicely, although I have no idea how it would sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

I didn't see anything wrong with the button immediately, then again, I didn't look to hard. 

I figured that it was a better made Markneukirchen going off of the varnish and purfling. 

Tell me about the purfling? What do you see that says Markie to you?

( and somewhere, Vd’A is smiling)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, doesn't look too bad.

the wing crack can be done from th outside, plane fingerboard, soundpost, bridge, clean and polish and some cheap Indian fittings on it and it should be done. Will make your customer smile and maybe you can sell a bow.^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Yep, doesn't look too bad.

the wing crack can be done from th outside, plane fingerboard, soundpost, bridge, clean and polish and some cheap Indian fittings on it and it should be done. Will make your customer smile and maybe you can sell a bow.^_^

Andreas Do you think the fingerboard height is correct? It looks very low to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Tell me about the purfling? What do you see that says Markie to you?

( and somewhere, Vd’A is smiling)

The thick blacks gave it away. But the neat purfling job made me give this one a second look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

The thick blacks gave it away. But the neat purfling job made me give this one a second look. 

Ok so thick outer layers and thin inner white indicates Markneukirchen?

do the bee stings serve any identification purpose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Ok so thick outer layers and thin inner white indicates Markneukirchen?

do the bee stings serve any identification purpose?

This much I don't know enough about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Andreas Do you think the fingerboard height is correct? It looks very low to me

Right, it looks low. Without precise measurements hard to say if it needs a raise pitch or a low bridge will be sufficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I don’t see anything wrong with the button. What are you seeing?

8 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

I didn't see anything wrong with the button immediately, then again, I didn't look to hard. 

I figured that it was a better made Markneukirchen going off of the varnish and purfling. 

The ID is indicated by the usual Mnk/Schb. "boxes" like rib joints, form of the corners, scroll, edgework and "screwdriver" antiquing. This sort of better made and varnished instrument is often described as "Großstadtgeige", meaning that the white box was finished by a maker in a city, but here the wholesaler's signature gives clue that it was completed somewhere in the region of origin.

The fingerboard support (paper, cardbox?) made me think of a sunken or loose neck, while the regard to the button is more a joke related to the last discussions about the ultimate way reglueing a button.:ph34r:B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blank face said:

The neck looks so thinned out that it probably needs a neck graft.

I was thinking the same thing. Might as well correct the projection, cut a new bridge, graft a new neck.

 

11 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I've seen a lot of violins with G A Pfretzschner labels.  This better workmanship and varnish than any I've ever seen.

So its a nice lil gem here. I wonder if the two bows that we're in the case we're any good too. Too bad I didn't get a picture!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.