Sign in to follow this  
Dom40

Alexander Smilie violin

22 minutes ago, Dom40 said:

Does anyone know the retail value of a good certificated smilie violin ? Thanks all 

Is this an Alex Smillie or an Andrew Smillie?

Depends who certified it, what the back length is, and exactly what condition it's in.

If it's not oversize and in perfect condition with a Rattray certificate, I would say around £13,000 for Alex, £8,000 for Andrew. We have sold both ....

I saw a nice Alex Smillie a couple of weeks ago that had been bought a few years back for £13k, but I feel that was probably overpriced.

13 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Depends who certified it, what the back length is, and exactly what condition it's in.

If it's not oversize and in perfect condition with a Rattray certificate, I would say around £13,000.

Mint condition.357 mm with Rattray certificate. Thanks Martin 

Sounds like a nice thing! One of the most consistent of Glasgow makers, they tend to sound pretty good ... I would much rather have a Smillie than a Briggs.

3 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Sounds like a nice thing! One of the most consistent of Glasgow makers, they tend to sound pretty good ... I would much rather have a Smillie than a Briggs.

Smilie or M. Hardie ? For sound not value ! 

40 minutes ago, Dom40 said:

Smilie or M. Hardie ? For sound not value ! 

Hardie is Edinburgh not Glasgow ...

A good Matthew Hardie is definitely the best you can get when it comes to Scottish makers, but he is very inconsistent. Thomas Hardie can also be excellent.

14 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Hardie is Edinburgh not Glasgow ...

A good Matthew Hardie is definitely the best you can get when it comes to Scottish makers, but he is very inconsistent. Thomas Hardie can also be excellent.

Yes I was reading up in Meredith Morris and he said a good M. Hardie has the great tone of a Forster or Banks but with more power. I didn’t know he made equally as many Amarti copies as Strands! I saw a Thomas Hardie go at auction a few months ago really cheap I wish I got it ! Went for 700 pounds . Live and learn.