Sign in to follow this  
classicalmusic

What could this be?

16 minutes ago, classicalmusic said:

Well, I wasn’t expecting I have an old Italian... Will be interesting to discover more....

Yes, lots of repairs, but luckily no soundpost cracks to top or back. I don’t see any back patches at all, just on the top around both neck and end block areas. Maybe have it reworked in the future...

The length of back looks like 356 mm. 

30A9C44C-A7EE-4BE0-B0C8-BBD13F1C51BA.jpeg

4712FDDC-A936-4443-A4FF-D339BF0E6EC5.jpeg

Now that we have established that you have the most unusual rubbish that any of us have seen here in a while, how does it sound?  :)

38 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Now that we have established that you have the most unusual rubbish that any of us have seen here in a while, how does it sound?  :)

Right now it sounds even with lots of warmth and sweetness, a bit closed. I’m sure with a better setup and strings, will be improvements. 

It appears to be a sudden turn, from somehow composite to mid 18th Italian, without that anything substantial at the instrument itself has changed.;) For good reason Peter tried to express this very carefully, because if he had found something within the wood it needs in every case the confirmation by an important expert. That should be awaited.

OTOH I'm a bit sceptical with opinions like "can't be anything but..", too often these turned out to something else, or just unidentifiable with certainity. So at the moment still an interesting unknown violin with "prospect".

I looked at this violin now already a couple of times. I don't know what it is but it's pretty old and quite interesting. 

However, I am trying to focus first on the construction method and therefore some information is needed what can't be seen on pictures:

How thick is the edge of the back and how thick is the edge of the top? 

Are the rib corners joined in the center?

How large is the edge overhang on the back. Rather wide or rather narrow?

How thick are the ribs?

Stop length?

Any unusual material for the purfling?

Any chance that the top block has been replaced?

2 hours ago, classicalmusic said:

I thought this was interesting.....

F8C56973-D829-4904-AF6D-FEAAA89FDB09.thumb.jpeg.1eaa2d18cff1ec69359ae8e6373dd768.jpeg

Congratulations!!!!  :)   I guess this means it's way too late to offer $50 and ask for Free Shipping?  :huh: