Sign in to follow this  
violinnewb

Bought a loop e-string instead of ball...ugh

You can try!

Let us know if it worked.

You might want to work over a towel...that will keep the teeny tiny ball from bouncing off the table, onto the floor...and from there into the Netherworld, never to be seen again...

I've done that before.  Use fine needlenose pliers or tweezers as a mandrel to spread the loop for inserting the ball.  :)

3 minutes ago, Rue said:

You can try!

Let us know if it worked.

You might want to work over a towel...that will keep the teeny tiny ball from bouncing off the table, onto the floor...and from there into the Netherworld, never to be seen again...

Yup.  BIG towel. 

Thank you guys! I will try and let you know...BTW would you guys talk me out of this procedure if I told you that the string was an Infeld Titanium e-string?  Does it matter?  Just don't want to throw away $30. 

I know, I know...WTH was I thinking?  

Just now, violinnewb said:

Thank you guys! I will try and let you know...BTW would you guys talk me out of this procedure if I told you that the string was an Infeld Titanium e-string?  Does it matter?  Just don't want to throw away $30. 

I know, I know...WTH was I thinking?  

I like the Warchal Amber spiral E much better.  :)

I have found that in removing or installing the type of ball with a hole in it the easiest way to hold it is by running a fine tapered metal rod or pick of some sort through the hole.  If you can get the ball into your loop, it should work fine.

7 minutes ago, Jwillis said:

Change your fine tuner

If OP has a ball end fine tuner a loop end string will work fine. I’d assumed they had an integrated tuner tailpiece.

2 hours ago, JohnCockburn said:

If OP has a ball end fine tuner a loop end string will work fine. I’d assumed they had an integrated tuner tailpiece.

Yup.  They might also have this problem if using geared pegs with no fine tuners.  :)

Lol guys...the purpose of the question was a quick fix.  I have always bought loop until my luthier changed out my fittings and the fine tuner requires a ball now.  I totally get that I could get a new fine tuner, new tailpiece, hell, even a new violin....Just wanted to see if I could spend 5 minutes and zero cash to make the string work.  Anyways, I did it and everything worked perfectly.  Thanks!