Sign in to follow this  
zdalton13

Help! My violin is too fat!

I think if you want to finish this violin with these measurements, why not?

Perhaps these proportions will give a good violin?

But, if you decide to continue, you will have to work not as for a copy, but like for a new model, it mean:

- choose new exact positioning to the 2 f, bridge will be in the same place than for you original Template (in proportions, not in absolute values)

- perhaps changing a little bit the f form, it is more complicated

- you have to think your violin is to play, so verify if the CC measurements will permit to keep the same brige elevation. It is not sure.

- etc...

I could be a very difficult challenge. It could also learn you a lot, in particular thinking and not only copiying. 

Less difficult is to restart. If it is your first violin, visual aspect of your work look like very good ! 

If you take really the time to well understand how to copy, and planing as an essential part before any manual work, and also that having precisely plan and DRAW a lot,

would give you the possibility to constantly step by step verifiying your work in progress, I am sure you will on the way to succed!

Do you know what you will prefer to do ? restart ?

Loïc

Edited by Loïc M.L. France
typography

On 8/16/2019 at 4:31 AM, Davide Sora said:

What are the actual  measures?

^Insightful question.

If all I had was the ribs, I'd definitely start over.  There's lots of work yet to do and it won't be much fun doing all that knowing your result will be fundamentally messed up.  Btw, a Kun shoulder rest wouldn't fit if the width of the lower bout wasn't on the money.  Probably the most common rest.

15 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Btw, a Kun shoulder rest wouldn't fit if the width of the lower bout wasn't on the money.  Probably the most common rest.

Not sure what you're talking about. I squared my kun up to the top plate that I'm working on and it fit just fine. Btw, I posted the measurements a page back.