Sign in to follow this  
fiddlerjer

Calculating a price

A German cellist has contacted me asking about the possibility of buying a washtub cello. I'm elated! But also I'm not sure how I would go about working out a price. Any pointers? The materials for the one I have built came to about $300 -- this was with using a fingerboard from a broken cello that I got free, and without any endpin -- let's say materials would cost under $500. I'm not sure how much time it will take me, I didn't really keep good track of the hours I spent building the first one. About 3 months of evenings and weekends, with 3 or 4 weeks of that being waiting on a tool I ordered or waiting on a design element to gel. I'd expect the second one to take a bit less time.  I want to give a quote that will make me some profit and not scare the guy off...

Also the materials cost was with trash strings, if I was going to put good strings on then I would need to include that in the price. My plan for shipping was to ship the instrument disassembled with instructions for setting it up.

16 hours ago, fiddlerjer said:

Also the materials cost was with trash strings, if I was going to put good strings on then I would need to include that in the price. My plan for shipping was to ship the instrument disassembled with instructions for setting it up.

Show us what it looks like please.

38 minutes ago, Mampara said:

Show us what it looks like please.

Here is the instrument --

32764221568_f9f1b4e6b0.jpg

The version I'm contemplating building for sale would have the wooden endpin cut off just below the tub and an adjustable cello endpin added. For shipping I'm thinking I would unstring it and take the tub off the neck. Putting it back together is a simple matter of putting the neck through the tub and putting strings on. (edited to add:) I forgot -- there are two braces that need to be positioned when putting the neck through the tub -- 
44552024041_3b1fa4f24a.jpg

Looks like the neck making is the big time item. figure that out and you'll probably have a good start. Neat design, and not to be critical, but is there any concern about weakness due to cross grain at the crook of the neck?

15 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

Looks like the neck making is the big time item. figure that out and you'll probably have a good start. Neat design, and not to be critical, but is there any concern about weakness due to cross grain at the crook of the neck?

Thanks! It's a bit of a concern, yes. I made the wood thick there and it feels solid but I reckon if it fell from a height, it could break there. Future models may include some reinforcement along the angled portion of the neck. But I don't have a design for that yet.

1 hour ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

Are you going to antique it or will you leave it looking newly built?

I hadn't really thought about that. Any idea what antiquing the tub would mean, how I would do it?

2 hours ago, fiddlerjer said:

I hadn't really thought about that. Any idea what antiquing the tub would mean, how I would do it?

Thirty years of hand scrubbed laundry interspersed with cleaning out the ash bin??

In between store your kindling in.

OR: you can send me a new one and I'll send you mine...... all the above already accomplished.