Sign in to follow this  
twcellist

Alfredo Primavera Cello

Hi. Does anybody have experience with Alfredo Primavera's Cello's? Like what I'm wanting to know is the quality of his workmanship, the sound, and overall what people think of his work. There is a cello of his for sale and I'm wanting to do more research.

1 hour ago, Dwight Brown said:

Thanks, but it's Alfredo Primavera (and yes not to make fun, but it's not the pasta dish :P) and not his father Adolph. The cello was made in 1978 and apparently he is still alive.

Ideally, if there is a more detailed write up that would be good because the stuff from Amati or Tarisio always tends to be very terse.

1 hour ago, deans said:

I don't know, but its never a good idea to shop for instruments at Olive Garden.

The cello is being sold by an instrument shop in Florida and there are papers of an appraisal by David Michie Violins in Philadelphia. So I would hope this is not Olive Garden. ;) 

How is his craftsmanship and work? I'm trying to understand why some modern Cremona makers can charge such a high price and while Primavera's work (relatively speaking) is less expensive.

8 hours ago, twcellist said:

How is his craftsmanship and work? I'm trying to understand why some modern Cremona makers can charge such a high price and while Primavera's work (relatively speaking) is less expensive.

If he’s still alive why not get in touch with him directly? If you’re in Florida and he is in Europe, I don’t think he’ll be offended that you don’t want to buy an instrument directly from him.

13 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

If he’s still alive why not get in touch with him directly? If you’re in Florida and he is in Europe, I don’t think he’ll be offended that you don’t want to buy an instrument directly from him.

Thanks. That is a good idea. So the cello is in Florida, but I'm in LA. He is still alive (still only in his 60's) and apparently the seller (or I guess the shop) tried contacting him, but he was not able to be reached. If I get really serious about buying the cello I will try reaching out to him myself. :)

On 8/12/2019 at 2:51 PM, deans said:

I don't know, but its never a good idea to shop for instruments at Olive Garden.

You beat me to it!