Joaquín Fonollosa

Geometría fabrorum

Más tarde fui desarrollando este sistema y, hoy día, me parece un tipo de geometria sencilla que bien pudo utilizarse por parte de los lauderos barrocos italianos. Con todo el respeto, por supuesto, hacia los enormes e interesantísimos trabajos y tesis al respecto. 

14 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

I've already seen these "spirals" somewhere, it doesn't seem like a new idea.

Nice artistic compositions, however:)

Fibonacci spirals?

typical Pythagorean display of golden ratio's using a Hermes Trismegistus theorem of thrice, pff everyone's that :rolleyes: As above so below, 3 in and 1 out

It is a pity that many old violas had their perfect geometric forms destroyed when they were reduced in size and are sounding so bad because of this.

But, since I am a good soul, I am willing to buy some of such violas by Gasparo da Salò, Amati, Busan, for 10K each.

8 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

It is a pity that many old violas had their perfect geometric forms destroyed when they were reduced in sound and are sound so bad because of this.

But, since I am a good soul, I am willing to buy some of such violas by Gasparo da Salò, Amati, Busan, for 10K each.

:D Leave some for me too....

Yes! I am also interested in some regraduated Del Gesù violins that had lost they original tap tones and are sounding very bad now. .  I am willing to get some of them for 10K too!.

3 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

It is a pity that many old violas had their perfect geometric forms destroyed when they were reduced in sound and are sound so bad because of this.

It's also a pity that no one is willing to play them in a sitting position like back when. I wonder if there's still a market for 20+" violas these days...

12 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

It's also a pity that no one is willing to play them in a sitting position like back when. I wonder if there's still a market for 20+" violas these days...

That's why there are Treble Viols!

29 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

It is a pity that many old violas had their perfect geometric forms destroyed when they were reduced in size and are sounding so bad because of this.

20 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

:D Leave some for me too....

17 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

Yes! I am also interested in some regraduated Del Gesù violins that had lost they original tap tones and are sounding very bad now. .  I am willing to get some of them for 10K too!.

I'm done with messing around with old beat-up used stuff, where you're stuck with what wood and arching someone else chose.  I'm just gonna make good new ones.:)

There sure are a lot of ways to design a violin.  My way is nothing like all these spiraly things, just a few arcs and lines to make it look like a violin.

7 hours ago, Joaquín Fonollosa said:

Más tarde fui desarrollando este sistema y, hoy día, me parece un tipo de geometria sencilla que bien pudo utilizarse por parte de los lauderos barrocos italianos. Con todo el respeto, por supuesto, hacia los enormes e interesantísimos trabajos y tesis al respecto. 

The main language for the forum is English... Possible to have someone translate for you?

Google translate!

‎Later I was developing this system and, nowadays, I think it is a type of simple geometry that could well be used by the Italian Baroque lauderos. With all due respect, of course, to the enormous and interesting work and thesis on the subject‎.

I apologize to all of you in advance for using Cervantes' language to express myself in this forum. From now on I will do it in the English language that the Google translator seeks, so I also apologize for the expressive mistakes made by the robot.
 Some of you refer me to Muratov and his art in violin design. And I refer you to Alberto Durero and his measurement instructions with a ruler and compass and his golden spiral.
The design system that I propose is simple. A template based on the golden spiral of Dürer. Do you really imagine Amati or Stradivari drawing curves with the Muratov system and its clotoids?
The system that I propose to you could well be used by Italian luthiers, so that there are no construction plans for those instruments. The template allows to measure, provide the instrument and trace all the curves of the mold, as well as other important measures, such as the bridge line and the top of the ff, etc.
Think Alberto Durero had an intense relationship with Italy. He published his Underweysung der Messung in 1525, and years later many artists and craftsmen began to apply their methods and instructions ...... also the Italian luthiers.

Seems to be a mix of Muratov, Brooks&Degrotte (The violin and the golden number) and Hambidge (The elements of dynamic symmetry), with perhaps some original ideas. It would be nice to have an explanation of how it all hangs together.

2 hours ago, Torbjörn Zethelius said:

It would be nice to have an explanation of how it all hangs together.

In the end, it's all personal taste about what looks good and what doesn't, so I don't think explanations would help much.  And getting there looks like it's all the maker's personal taste for geometry, numerology, and mathematical curlicues that end up giving what the maker thinks looks good.  Having some historical cues about what the old guys did might give some extra warmfuzzies to makers who want to "do what Strad did", but there are plenty of different ways to get the same end result.