Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Christian Beckman Vienna for JW Pepper?

You learn something new every day. I just came in contact with a violin(nothing special but I’ll share pictures if anybody wishes)

Labeled “copy of Stradivarius, blah blah blah

Christian Beckman Vienna Specially for JW pepper and son.”

JW Pepper is a music publisher. Is anybody aware of them selling instruments as well? I know that Boosey & Hawkes also sold instruments, Was it more widespread than just them? Thank you very much.

By the way, I have not looked up that particular maker, so I have no idea whether he was a trade name or a real person.

Edited by PhilipKT
Typo

Probably a trade name. Yes, J.W.Pepper did sell instruments. There are reprints of a couple of their catalogs in the Erhardt books including one in Volume 1 that shows that instrument, or at least one with the same name on the label.

2 hours ago, stringcheese said:

Probably a trade name. Yes, J.W.Pepper did sell instruments. There are reprints of a couple of their catalogs in the Erhardt books including one in Volume 1 that shows that instrument, or at least one with the same name on the label.

Exactly right, when I posted the question I was not near my reference books, but I see on page 126 and 127 that they did indeed sell violins. The name that I mentioned is not one of the names and the catalog, however, but I haven’t found him in any other reference books so I’m pretty sure that he does not exist.