Sign in to follow this  
Christabel

Flying American with a viola - advice?

I'm hoping to take my viola on an international American Airlines flight - it's in a contoured, standard size BAM case. I've never flown alone with my viola before (I flew in 2014 with my violin as part of a chamber orchestra tour) - would this be possible? If so, does anyone have suggestions for things I should I know/prepare for?

Thanks!

The ONLY thing you can do is pay for early boarding.

If you don't, you risk having a fight with a flight attendant.  

Honestly, I have faked a sprained ankle before to board first with those "needing assistance or extra time" when purchasing early boarding wasn't an option.

I haven't carried my viola on with American Airlines, but I have done so on Southwest many times with no problems at all. I also have a BAM case and it is in a Mooradian padded cover. I agree with checking early if possible to ensure that there is room in the carry-on overhead compartments. I keep a copy of the TSA rules for instruments in carry-on with me. 

There are some helpful tips here: https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/air-travel-musical-instruments

1 hour ago, MANFIO said:

Always say it is a violin!

Looks to me like our premier viola maker just made a viola joke.  :lol:  I'm sure he's right though, don't confuse the airline people..........  :)

On 8/11/2019 at 11:40 AM, Stephen Fine said:

Honestly, I have faked a sprained ankle before to board first with those "needing assistance or extra time" when purchasing early boarding wasn't an option.

Did you fake while leaving too just to be polite?  :)