Sign in to follow this  
Julian Cossmann Cooke

Chicago Chicago that toddlin' town

Planning a trip to Chicago this fall accompanying my financial backer (read: my wife) as she attends a work conference.  Assembling a list of must-see locations.  So far in no particular order:

Ryan McLaughlin

Chicago School of Violin Making

Darnton and Hersh

Michael Darnton

Bein and Fushi

Kenneth Warren and Son

Greg Sapp

William Harris Lee

Seman Violins

Any other recommendations?  My purpose is two-fold: see fine instruments and visit colleagues in their natural environment.  I don't expect to have a violin with me to show.

I would love to search the MN membership by location and find others among you on whom I could descend, but alas...

On a serious note though... your list is a very good place to start.  Several of the locations can be had in one day.  For example, B and F and Ryan's place are in the same building,  oh yeah, WH Lee as well.  Semans is just right down the street from CSVM.  Mr. Sapp's place is one floor down from Warrens.

Uh...I'm not so sure it's a great idea to just drop in to see "must see locations." Every time I've been in Warren's they're busy with work, and considering it's Chicago, I'm not at all sure they would welcome a complete stranger with open arms.

Maybe writing ahead asking if it would be convenient would be a better idea.

1 hour ago, AtlVcl said:

Uh...I'm not so sure it's a great idea to just drop in to see "must see locations." Every time I've been in Warren's they're busy with work, and considering it's Chicago, I'm not at all sure they would welcome a complete stranger with open arms.

Maybe writing ahead asking if it would be convenient would be a better idea.

I think that's just polite in life in general right?  I've been to the Warren shop many times, always asked permission first, and Wyatt has always been gracious and accommodating.

I was in Chicago two weeks ago, and managed to drop in on Darnton and Hersch. Michael Darnton fixed an open seam on my daughter’s violin almost while we waited, and she and a friend got to try out a dozen or so violins at the lower end of the price list - as well as three very different ones neat the upper end, since we were there. :)

We also got her favourite bow rehaired by John Norwood Lee, and I got a tour of his workshop.