Sign in to follow this  
GV19

1782 German Violin

Hello, I have an opportunity to buy a 1782 German Violin. On the inside it says Martin Dihl Chur-maynzischer Lau ten-und Geigenmacher 1782. I can't seem to find anything about this maker. I found a little bit of history regarding Alexander Diehl but nothing about Martin. Anyone know what type of possible valuation this Violin would being?

anyone who has experience with these older violins, does it look about right for the time period? I know you can't definitively say but anything can help!!

Thanks in advance!

7eeb5a81.jpg

57da9b7d.jpg

417317cc.jpg

5535fa84.jpg

8fcb4ab0.jpg

1369848d.jpg

Edited by GV19

It would require much better photographs to have any chance of identifying the violin. But what I will say is that the last thing you look at on a violin is the label. The vast majority of labels  are not authentic, though obviously there are exceptions.

From what I can see this violin does not appear to be from that era, maybe 100 years later.

The violin is from the usual Saxon/Bohemian cottage industry ca. late 19th century/around 1900 with a copied label. The Diehl family work in the assumed period would more look like Mittenwald/Danubian school made around a mould etc.

Photoshop shows the bottom rib is unitary.  Please read Rue's pinned thread on photos, and give us more and better photos to work with. :)

5 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Photoshop shows the bottom rib is unitary.  Please read Rue's pinned thread on photos, and give us more and better photos to work with. :)

You mean one piece? Funny I think I see a join.

The rib corners are typical Schoenbach and the scroll is very basic turn of the century, a long way away from the Martin Dihl in Hamma - so I'm with Blank Face.

31 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Quite unneccesary. It is the Standard Cottage Industry Instrument (Maestronetese, "Markie") from the late 19th. C with one of the Tapetendruck spurious labels I wrote about here 

22 minutes ago, martin swan said:

You mean one piece? Funny I think I see a join.

The rib corners are typical Schoenbach and the scroll is very basic turn of the century, a long way away from the Martin Dihl in Hamma - so I'm with Blank Face.

Some "Saxon" fiddles have one piece.  There's more to Vogtland than Markneukirchen.  I want to see more pics.  :)

1 minute ago, Violadamore said:

Some "Saxon" fiddles have one piece.  There's more to Vogtland than Markneukirchen.  I want to see more pics.  :)

since when?

3 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Some "Saxon" fiddles have one piece.  There's more to Vogtland than Markneukirchen.  I want to see more pics

I thought you would have quit with the blackened pegbox.

8 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

since when?

You yourself have posted something on this once.  Yes, I can see it's Saxon, and yes, the label is false.  I still want the OP to produce more pictures.  I like looking at fiddles :P

1 minute ago, Violadamore said:

You yourself have posted something on this once.  Yes, I can see it's Saxon, and yes, the label is false.  I still want the OP to produce more pictures.  :P

you should stop wasting his time

Interesting! so it doesn't sound like it is authentic from the time period of the label by most of your accounts. Do these things have any value? Here are a bunch more pictures for those that were asking. Thanks again for everyone's input.

40047cd0_thumbnail.jpg  f389e1c4_thumbnail.jpg 234f35dd_thumbnail.jpg c25adc38_thumbnail.jpg 7913740b_thumbnail.jpg34cb2d52_thumbnail.jpg

44a16888_thumbnail.jpg 0baeb315_thumbnail.jpg bdd0c31b_thumbnail.jpg 064b2577_thumbnail.jpg 4694e0ae_thumbnail.jpg 22201aa0_thumbnail.jpg

aef3a255_thumbnail.jpg 417317cc_thumbnail.jpg dbc7c94d_thumbnail.jpg bb82686b_thumbnail.jpg1369848d_thumbnail.jpg 5c656d13_thumbnail.jpg

7e0adf4e_thumbnail.jpg

Yes it seems to be nickel. I can’t say 100%. Part looks silver and the other parts seem silver. I don’t know if these images help.

1238654D-3A1F-45F6-A5E0-B07AD36AD93D.jpeg

2B830EB9-F026-4631-8963-1F629E1CDCBA.jpeg

2B84D3D7-9EEA-406B-ADDC-E5AAE7A65F40.jpeg

I will be looking to sell this set. obviously I know little about these pieces any idea what a fair price would be for both of these? is it worth getting it appraised or are they pretty basic pieces to where there is no real need? 

2 hours ago, GV19 said:

I will be looking to sell this set. obviously I know little about these pieces any idea what a fair price would be for both of these? is it worth getting it appraised or are they pretty basic pieces to where there is no real need? 

worth next to nothing

2 hours ago, GV19 said:

I'm confused. In your first post you said you had the opportunity to buy this ... now you are selling.

If you want good advice on Maestronet it's best to play with a straight bat.

I guess the way I worded my post original had a couple people confused. Someone is selling this set and I was trying to see if it would be worth my time  to buy for resale. I purchase wide array of stuff and I wanted to see if this violin and bow had any value. The price I would be purchasing it would be for $255. 

"If you want good advice on Maestronet it's best to play with a straight bat." -there was nothing I was trying to hide. I have no reason to. I didn't realize mixing a small bit of information would offend people. Sorry about that.