Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Can someone explain about these chinrests?

They were roughed out by machine and a pile of them were left on the workbenches on Fridays. The worker could take a set number of them home to finish for extra pay. So, cool models, some orig., and many of the shapes that we purchase today are copies of copies of copies of these. Check around about having someone carve you a chinrest instead of buying something from SHAR or India/China and the prices on these start to look attractive.

I have a few, and once purchased a crappy fiddle just to get the chinrest. They are very comfortable and lovely. I remember the Moennig auction, seeing a bunch of them in a lot and thinking that I would like them. Similar prices. You will find them, I am sure, on expensive and fine instruments coming from a particular shop on the upper east coast.

35 minutes ago, duane88 said:

They were roughed out by machine and a pile of them were left on the workbenches on Fridays. The worker could take a set number of them home to finish for extra pay. So, cool models, some orig., and many of the shapes that we purchase today are copies of copies of copies of these. Check around about having someone carve you a chinrest instead of buying something from SHAR or India/China and the prices on these start to look attractive.

I have a few, and once purchased a crappy fiddle just to get the chinrest. They are very comfortable and lovely. I remember the Moennig auction, seeing a bunch of them in a lot and thinking that I would like them. Similar prices. You will find them, I am sure, on expensive and fine instruments coming from a particular shop on the upper east coast.

That’s actually quite a good answer. Still, at over $300 apiece, I’m glad that I play the cello.

I dabbled in this particular auction and was the happy winner of six brand new cello end pins At a total cost of $43 each.

Yes, I am happy that I play the cello.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Ok so there’s 38 of them but why are they worth 11 thousand dollars?

0412AEC1-C98B-426D-A027-D6CE4CF0C25F.png

D0112373-AAFE-4ECF-A1E4-8E66AA16B88D.jpeg

You'd be surprised by the number of chinrest fetishes over here in Japan.

Yahoo Auction have Hill & son chinrests listed between ¥100,000 to ¥300,000 yen (mint). So if assuming max of ¥300,000 a piece x 38 could yield the happy winning bidder up to 10 fold. 

Madness, of course. Or is it… 

Fetish? Ew!  :wacko:

All I know is that I have no business sense whatsoever...:rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, Rue said:

Fetish? Ew!  :wacko:

All I know is that I have no business sense whatsoever...:rolleyes:

Probably more than someone who'd pay $3000 for a chinrest.  I'm very tempted to create a line of exclusive chinrests from some of the more awesome looking local woods, and then try a little bartering with some of the lovely Oriental gentlefolk I refer to as "sword weasels".  :ph34r::lol:

3 minutes ago, Rue said:

Let me know how it goes!!! :P

Oh, ye of little faith......... :P:lol:

3 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Ok so there’s 38 of them but why are they worth 11 thousand dollars?

I’m glad you posted this because I’ve been wondering the same thing since the Lot was bid up to $5,500 the first day. I’m sure they are nice chin rests, but how much difference can it really make?

15 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Probably more than someone who'd pay $3000 for a chinrest.  I'm very tempted to create a line of exclusive chinrests from some of the more awesome looking local woods, and then try a little bartering with some of the lovely Oriental gentlefolk I refer to as "sword weasels".  :ph34r::lol:

Do you make swords? It would be fascinating to watch a billet of steel become a fine Japanese sword, but I would imagine using non-traditional materials for the grip or hilt would result in stern words and fifty lashes from the sensei.

Do you make swords? It would be fascinating to watch a billet of steel become a fine Japanese sword, but I would imagine using non-traditional materials for the grip or hilt would result in stern words and fifty lashes from the sensei.

I have in the past, but I mostly forged Carolingian ("Viking") broadswords, and Renaissance pattern rapiers.  I own some nihonto, and have experience (some colorful) with their dealers.  I do my own tsuka wraps using traditional materials and antique fittings, and occasionally carve and lacquer saya. :)

5 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

I have in the past, but I mostly forged Carolingian ("Viking") broadswords, and Renaissance pattern rapiers.  I own some nihonto, and have experience (some colorful) with their dealers.  I do my own tsuka wraps using traditional materials and antique fittings, and occasionally carve and lacquer saya. :)

...be still my heart...

3 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

She should try to get on that Forged in Fire reality show.  Only watched it by accident, but never seen a woman on it.  Probably a shoo-in.

Isn’t EVERYTHING forged in fire? Isn’t that the definition of “forged”?

rather redundant title...

Isn’t EVERYTHING forged in fire? Isn’t that the definition of “forged”?

rather redundant title...

Not necessarily, but perhaps a lot of certificates should be..........  :lol:

I've looked in on it occasionally.  They really aren't big on tradition (not enough time), and most of the $10K contest weapons are only rough approximations of the historical originals.  Usually the contestants are expert with grinders and belt sanders.  Fullering and other finish hot shaping you don't see much of.  Out of caution, one supposes, all the quenching is usually oil.  :rolleyes:

I get a big kick out of Doug Marcaida testing blades, though.  The way he exclaims "This blade will kill!"  sounds like a man who thoroughly enjoys his work.  :)

Impression I have, it's sort of like what you'd get with a show where 4 guys, mostly relative newbs, make a violin in 6 hours, then the two survivors of that compete to copy the Hellier Strad in 5 days.   :ph34r::rolleyes:

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:49 AM, jacklinks said:

I’m glad you posted this because I’ve been wondering the same thing since the Lot was bid up to $5,500 the first day. I’m sure they are nice chin rests, but how much difference can it really make?

Anyone with that kind of...... umm what's the word?..... Issue? .....Isn't buying them for comfort and ease of playing.

'W Hill and son, London' branding on the bracket feet.

I believe some of the earlier Hill chinrests were branded on the side of the chinrest.

The mounting attachment on the chinrest is slightly different as well. 

Benjamin Hebbert has a rare catalogue of Hill chin rests on display https://hebbertsviolins.wordpress.com/2016/08/09/vintage-chin-rests-by-w-e-hill-sons/

Personally, for that kind of money I would consult/commision a local luthier to make a custom chinrest. 

3 hours ago, chrissweden said:

Thanks, I found 2 in my big box of chinrests. Anyone interested at €200 a piece? :)

1 hour ago, Bill Merkel said:

^I'll paypal you if that's ever equal to $20.  You have to replace those big sharp feet though.

I'll see your $40 for both and raise to $50 and Free Shipping.  :lol:

5 hours ago, chrissweden said:

Thanks, I found 2 in my big box of chinrests. Anyone interested at €200 a piece? :)

is that 200 euro deal still good after Brexit?