Sign in to follow this  
alexandervfm

New cello crack on varnish?

So I havent played cello for over 10 years and decided to play again because i really miss it, so i bought this 400$ cello, im not in america so i did the conversion. i got the cello and it looked fine, the sound was okay, not the best ever but i think good enough, needs some decent strings. everything was okay until i realized there was this uneven part on the varnish that feels 'elevated' when i touch it with my finger, under the right light I can see a very thin line paralel to the grain. I see what looks like a bit of trauma close to the line. the pegbox also had an evident repair. the cello is quite pretty and even tho its ready to be send back to the seller im having second toughts,because i really liked it at first glance,the seller is willing to give me 40 bucks back if i keep it (it doesnt mater to me tbh). the question is, could this crack and the pegbox be a big issue? would you keep it?. the cello was mailed, but it think this is just a problem on the craftmanship and not the transportation. I need some enlightment please. thanks in advance for reading my post :-)

Screenshot_2019-08-01-13-24-18-055_com_miui.gallery.png

IMG_20190801_130157.jpg

Screenshot_2019-08-01-02-21-44-523_com.miui.gallery.png

IMG_20190801_010356.jpg

IMG_20190731_223353.jpg

IMG_20190801_004708.jpg

Is the cello new, or just new to you?  If you find a luthier who will fix it for 40 bucks, run away as fast as you can. To do the job right, it will cost a few hundred dollars. I'm having trouble seeing the repair to the scroll. The cello does look nice, but also hard to tell from your pictures if it is worth the cost of the repair.

1 hour ago, luthier said:

Is the cello new, or just new to you?  If you find a luthier who will fix it for 40 bucks, run away as fast as you can. To do the job right, it will cost a few hundred dollars. I'm having trouble seeing the repair to the scroll. The cello does look nice, but also hard to tell from your pictures if it is worth the cost of the repair.

new to me.unfortunatelly it will have to go back because the repair on the pegbox makes me anxious, same as the one on the front and theres no luthier around me. the seller offered me a free repair if it breaks, but by looking at the details on the craftmanship i dont trust their repairs. the varnish is not perfect at the bottom either the head is also unpolished so i better let it go, finding decent cellos here is SO HARD. more pics of the defects i found. thank you for being the only one who replied.

IMG_20190801_005436.jpg

IMG_20190801_005242.jpg

IMG_20190801_004211.jpg

It seems quite absurd to me to think of sending this back if it cost $400 and it plays adequately.
All I can see are a couple of cosmetic issues and a misplaced pilot hole. To be honest I think it's a bit churlish to take $40 off the seller on account of these issues - what were you expecting for the price?

When I looked at the pictures I  came to the same conclusion as the guys...cosmetic issues on a $400 instrument..

I'd certainly keep it.