Sign in to follow this  
Damian

Help to identify a violin

bump... The violin could date back to the 1700's, possibly of Germanic origins. The number below the button is likely an inventory number, not a date. It is unique, to say the least. What is the LOB? Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable will respond. 

It's a bit difficult to see by the photos. Probably a rather nicely Markneukirchen or Klingenthal made violin, possibly 1834, with a revarnished/overvarnished  top. The neck could be elongated at the root.

7 hours ago, BassClef said:

Interesting center line of the scroll. Is there a technical way to describe this unusual characteristic?

I would call it "edgeing", sometimes in ivory, sometimes ebony like here. The plates are showing this feature, too, a bit blurred by the exposure of the photos. The better Vogtland makers used this method till roughly first half of the 19th century for the more expensive instruments, that's why I'm guessing that the 1834 date is right.

I'm still unsure about the varnish, if it's original or altered. Maybe the OP could post some more photos with a different light?

The center line in the scroll looks painted, not inlaid ebony, to me. The ebony edging around the top and back looks half-edged, and could have been added later. 

4 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

The center line in the scroll looks painted, not inlaid ebony, to me. The ebony edging around the top and back looks half-edged, and could have been added later. 

You are quite right that the line at the rear scroll and the delta are scribed and painted, but very neatly. The inlay work is a more time consuming job, with ebony as well as with ivory, which might be the reason that it was done so, but also the reason why I'm doubting that someone would have taken the time and effort to add this later. Of course it is "half-edged", that's the usual way it was done, otherwise it wouldn't hold there much long.