Sign in to follow this  
Rue

If a violin equated to a breed of dog:

I've been reading various posts about one-man violins, versus CNC violins, versus cottage made violins...and so on.  And I've been reading the posts about which are beautiful and which are ugly, and why.  And of course we can never come to an agreement because of personal preference.

Then I was thinking about dogs.

There are several hundred distinct dog breeds.  Then there are an endless mix of 'mutts'.  Yet, whether it's the smallest Chihauhau or the largest Great Dane...we still recognize them as dogs.  Some will think a Golden Retriever is the most beautiful breed.  Others will vote for a German Shepherd.  Sometimes it's hard to tell breeds apart.  Is it a German Shepherd?  Is it a Malinois?  Dog lovers will be able to easily tell them apart, but not Average Al...

I honestly like most dogs and enjoy a variety of looks...which has been reflected in dogs we've had and loved over the years.  My favourite looks aren't necessarily that of a breed I'd choose though, depending on any number of factors.

So...if the different types of violins are like dog breeds, which do you think is which?  Which would you pick?  Why?

Is a Strad a German Shepherd?

Is a Guanarius a Cane Corso?

Is a Stainer a Bulldog?

Is an Amati a Whippet?

Dogs do entirely too much kissing up. They'll love you even if you perpetually abuse  them.

Better to have pets that you need to walk a fine line with. Builds good character. :)

7 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Dogs do entirely too much kissing up. They'll love you even if you perpetually abuse  them.

Sounds like a few Strads you guys have described...

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Better to have pets that you need to walk a fine line with. Builds good character. :)

So two dogs and a cat die and go to heaven. St.Peter is on vacation so God has to do the intake interviews himself. So he's sitting on his throne and says to the German Shepard "What do you believe in?" The Shepard says "I believe in being totally loyal to my master and being his best friend for my whole life". He asks the Dobermann Pinscher "And what do you believe?" The Doberman says "I believe in protecting my master and his family and property against all threats". God looks down at the cat and says "What do you believe?" The cat looks up and says "I believe you are in my chair".

6 minutes ago, Guy Booth said:

I like wolves. Wild and undomesticated. Sings before the Full Moon. 

Hi Guy - Last companion was a wolf-dog. Mother was a Siberian wolf. Father was a Grey Wolf/Belgian Shepherd cross.

665553190_Snow-SwaarmoedPass-2008jul10-reduced.jpg.61c5fd587e4d5dba6a0e89cd20997bcc.jpg

Done my nut but can't make him fit any instrument. 

He was complete in himself.

cheers edi

37 minutes ago, edi malinaric said:

Hi Guy - Last companion was a wolf-dog. Mother was a Siberian wolf. Father was a Grey Wolf/Belgian Shepherd cross.

Done my nut but can't make him fit any instrument.

Wow. It must have been an experience to have spent time with him! 
I picture the instrument being of unknown origin, and played in the calloused hands of traveling gypsy musician as he walks along a moon-lit trail in Romania! 

36 minutes ago, nathan slobodkin said:

So two dogs and a cat die and go to heaven. St.Peter is on vacation so God has to do the intake interviews himself. So he's sitting on his throne and says to the German Shepard "What do you believe in?" The Shepard says "I believe in being totally loyal to my master and being his best friend for my whole life". He asks the Dobermann Pinscher "And what do you believe?" The Doberman says "I believe in protecting my master and his family and property against all threats". God looks down at the cat and says "What do you believe?" The cat looks up and says "I believe you are in my chair".

:lol:

6 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Offer a plate of food to a dog and the dog will think you are God. Offer a plate of food to a cat and the cat will think she is God.

This is the dog equivalent of the VSO that I use for my acoustic experiments.

Dog.jpg.4a4a964809fc8e381d3556ed3823e3e7.jpg

2 hours ago, Don Noon said:

This is the dog equivalent of the VSO that I use for my acoustic experiments.

Dog.jpg.4a4a964809fc8e381d3556ed3823e3e7.jpg

AHHH,  But it has to be loved by someone  :)

6 hours ago, David Burgess said:

that's right, real men own chickens....

8 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I have cats...But she asked about dogs.

If my cello were a cat, it would only play if it damn well wanted to.

Funny boys!:P

Strnad = Czech Wolfdog (thinking of you edi!)

CzechoslovakianWolfdogRakshaAdultPurebredDogDogs.jpg

OK as someone that spent a good portion of my life traveling around to do the silly practice of running dogs in a circle while wearing a suite, hears my lame attempt. :P

The violins (and violas and celli) should first be organized into their perspective groups.

1. Sporting group:  These are the contest winners vying for points in competitions.

2.  Working group:  These are the every day work horses of the musician.  Nothing too fancy or expensive, just gets the job done.

3. Terrier group:  These are the high energy fiddlers.

4.  Hound group:  Similar to the sporting group, these instruments are always in pursuit of their quarry.  In this case a higher price tag.  Also known as the investment group.

5.  Herding group:  These are the instruments that gather people together and move them to other places.

6.  Toy group:  Here are all the fractionals.  No they're not pups, they're as big as they will ever get.

7. Non-sporting group: These basically don't fit into any of the above categories. VSO's, one off's, and amature made (lacking guidance) can certainly be found in the ranks as well as others that are just...well...other.

And for Edi, the lone wolf:  The soloist, admired from afar, and occasionally dropping by for a duet.:)

11 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Something like a Wolverine, or maybe a Badger?