Sign in to follow this  
Wester

Help in identifying violin

Do you guys think that based on the information we have it’s worth perusing a professional repair. Will the value of the item once repaired justify the price of the repair?  

I do intend on taking the violin somewhere for an appraisal as Martin suggested. Can you make any recommendations in the Oxford area? 

Edited by Wester

Hi Wester,

I would venture to suggest that the hive mind of Maestronet is all you need in terms of appraisal. This is a "Caussin Shop" French violin, not something made by one of the Caussin brothers - if it were Caussin proper I would recommend showing it to Rampal as I don't believe anyone in the UK could give you a viable certificate.

Oxford Violins would surely confirm the diagnosis if you want to have someone stare you in the eye ... or you can meet me tomorrow at Didcot Parkway where I'm picking up a viola.

As Caussin shop (or "school") it will be worth up to  £3000 in fully restored condition, but there's a lot to do, and I can't imagine you having much change from £1000 if you gave it to someone who would do a really good job. So in my view it's not really a proposition - it's a lot of work and a lot of commitment, which might not leave you with a sound that you like.

This is a project for a luthier if they can buy it for a few hundred and work on it alongside other things ...