Sign in to follow this  
jezzupe

energy storage and release

13 hours ago, David Beard said:

Yes.  And like a back plate, and extra load of mass near the center is essential to a gong.

The sort of 'build up' we hear in a gong is the energy of the strike vibrating many smaller bits of the gong during the time before getting the central mass and lowest and slowest reaponses of the gong going.

I find gongs fascinating because the time aspects of response are so evidently displayed.

Also, the common orchestral technique of shimmering the gong with quite stimulation to prepare a main strike is very intriguing.  If you want a great splashing gong sound, you can't just wack it.  You have to ready the gong before giving a huge blow.

I beleive we can improve our intuitions for musical behavior by contemplating such things.

You can consider tables for example.  Some strikes of a table make unpitched sound.  Some strikes make pitched sounds with one table but not another.  Some strikes send a table across the room.  Some strikes destroy the table.  Most strikes give complicated combinations of response from different parts of the table.  And often the responses change through time.

How well can you understand what happens to the energy in these different cases. How well can you predict such things?

Also, sometimes a table can act as an excellent soundboard to radiate driven signals, like tuning forks held against them.  How well can you understand why one table does this well but another doesn't?

All of these contemplations are much simpler than trying to understand a violin.

yes, exactly, I used to spend my early days contemplating just such things, but using wood floors instead of tables, as that was what I did for so many years...and ya, that's why I brought it up, just to basically be a "topic throw down" in order to see what kinda of thoughts come from discussing a gong as it relates to sound in general and what we may understand about it that may or may not be applied to the violin.

In these types of "free association" thought discussions much can be learned from this "we are talking about dogs, but what can we learn about dogs from discussing cats" approach imo.

8 hours ago, Kae said:

Wow! It's the first time I heard of aluminum violins.  I just found some video on YouTube, and there is a video for  aluminum violin&cello Duet.  To my surprise, they are  not so weird as I thought they would be,.       Well, .....hmm...... they are still a bit weird.   :D

Hey thanks for that,  kinda like the cello, little off key here and there, but you know, you get the idea. This looks like a job for Iron Mike! whip out the MIG

21 hours ago, Felefar said:

I have such a violin, or rather a fiddle. I have no idea why, but is sounds like a Hardanger fiddle even if it has only the normal four strings.

I believe the back is of black alder, apart from that I know nothing.

I had a cool effect like that once, but it turned out the handmade tailpeice I made was too thick and was just touching down on the top so that when certain dynamic peaks were hit the thing would do this cool synth like buzz, kinda turned the tailpiece into a reed.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, jezzupe said:

I had a cool effect like that once, but it turned out the handmade tailpeice I made was too thick and was just touching down on the top so that when certain dynamic peaks were hit the thing would do this cool synth like buzz, kinda turned the tailpiece into a reed.

This one rings on all tones, on all strings, and changing the tailpiece made no difference. I have decided to try to sell it to a fiddler who wants to avoid the hassle of tuning nine strings on a Hardanger fiddle. :D

9 hours ago, Felefar said:

This one rings on all tones, on all strings, and changing the tailpiece made no difference. I have decided to try to sell it to a fiddler who wants to avoid the hassle of tuning nine strings on a Hardanger fiddle. :D

Ya it's a hardangerless hardanger :lol:, sound like a violin I'd like to examine