Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Coleman

shop size

:(   about 6 feet by 6 feet not counting the space taken up by the bench and a table.  The whole shed was supposed to be mine but a lot of it ended up being storage for other things.   Oh well it's enough for hand tool woodworking,   No room for big power tools.  

25 x 35 one room building.  My space is way too big and I am in process of splitting it into 2 (or 3) smaller spaces.  Smaller uncluttered space is much more conducive to work for me at least. 

Thanks for the replies.  I'm exploring the idea of building a new shop.  After talking to a builder, I had to reassess some of my ideas.  I've always kept my machinery in the garage and used a room in the house as a benchroom.  Hopefully I can have something built that will suit my needs. 

A room in the house! That is the perfect solution, I wish I could do that. Summer temperatures out here are totally unbearable to work outside in a shed.

1 hour ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Thanks for the replies.  I'm exploring the idea of building a new shop.  After talking to a builder, I had to reassess some of my ideas.  I've always kept my machinery in the garage and used a room in the house as a benchroom.  Hopefully I can have something built that will suit my needs. 

I have a good sized shop.  I'm not sure of the dimensions, but similar to a one car garage in my basement.  it is convenient to have all my machinery at hand in the shop, even if they are infrequently used.  If I could build to specs I would have a separate machinery room with the exception of my tormek, and add a deep sink.

23 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

If I could build to specs I would have a separate machinery room 

I like the company of my machines, and like them easily at hand.  However, I'd  like a sound-proofed closet for the dust collector.  Another possible exception would be the CNC, if I ever get to the point of having long automated carving operations where I want to do something else in the meantime.  Yeah, a separate CNC room would be nice.  And, while we're at it, a separate varnishing cleanroom.  And a wood storage room, instrument display room, ...

31 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

I like the company of my machines, and like them easily at hand.  However, I'd  like a sound-proofed closet for the dust collector.  Another possible exception would be the CNC, if I ever get to the point of having long automated carving operations where I want to do something else in the meantime.  Yeah, a separate CNC room would be nice.  And, while we're at it, a separate varnishing cleanroom.  And a wood storage room, instrument display room, ...

Haha.  You understand my dilemma.  I come from a cabinetmaking background, and I'm used to a lot of space.  Having made cabinets and furniture for many years, I have several machines that most violin makers don't have.  I'm thinking 20x 24 or so should suit me ok.  Of course 24x28 would be nice but the cost difference between the two is considerable.

Some of the books by architect Christopher Alexander could be useful such as a Pattern Language and a Timeless way of Building to name a few could be useful.  It helps provide a philosophy / approach to creating a space based on how you actually use and live in the space as the starting point.  To start off asking how big a space may not necessarily be the most useful question to ask.   Your original question was related to how big a shop to make violins in?  Maybe this is a different kind of question then "what is the size of a space to store all my large (and maybe not used) machines in, and by the way I just happen to be making violins as well.   

I have two buildings.  A varnish building that i 10x20 where I also store my wood and a woodworking building that is 10x16 and that also houses my machine tools -- basically a bandsaw, a bench top drill press and disk sander, and sharpening equipment.  If I had it to do over again, I would make the wood working building a 10x20.  The current one is a little too cozy.

The structures are the American shown here: http://affordableportable.com/storage-sheds-and-portable-buildings/

Construction costs being what they are in Austin, these were a good alternative and are holding up well.  And no permitting because they have no plumbing, just electric.

It may go without saying that following close on the heels of shop size in terms of importance is organizing space for workflow/operations, most obviously in window, lighting, and bench placement.  I did some thinking about this when putting in my buildings but I wouldn't say I was completely successful. 

Then again, our perspective is bound to change over time, e.g. I had a lot of tools in racks on the walls or containers on my bench.  I then made one of my wisest investments on that front.  I bought a Gerstner that sits on the end of the bench in the center of my workspace.  That has brought some tools closer to hand, has freed up bench space by replacing containers, improved tool organization, and has modesty increased ambient light as I have dismantled tool racks that were mounted across windows.

Edited by Julian Cossmann Cooke
Added section on workflow/operations design considerations

14 hours ago, Peter Lynch said:

Some of the books by architect Christopher Alexander could be useful such as a Pattern Language and a Timeless way of Building to name a few could be useful.  It helps provide a philosophy / approach to creating a space based on how you actually use and live in the space as the starting point....

Thanks for the recommendation, Peter.  I did some initial reading about the concepts, and it looks like they will be very useful in a variety of contexts going far beyond shop size and layout.

Mine is about 13' x 25', but it has to cover violin work, furniture building, lumber storage, and some shooting related activities.

Edit: Two work benches, table saw, scroll saw, band saw, miter saw/router table, drill press, grinder, 4" jointer, hardware/hand tool shelves, and more.

39 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

Mine is about 13' x 25", but it has to cover violin work, furniture building, lumber storage, and some shooting related activities.

25", that's tight. But I guess if it works for you....... ;)

Here's my shop space. Big enough for now, anyway.

https://www.pastheritage.org/HangarOne.html

Basement workshop about 14’ x 20’. Includes bandsaw, drill press, desk, tool and wood storage, work desk and 3 various sized work benches. Lots of room if well organized. 

7 hours ago, Joe Leahy said:

Basement workshop about 14’ x 20’. Includes bandsaw, drill press, desk, tool and wood storage, work desk and 3 various sized work benches. Lots of room if well organized. 

My smaller (12x17)  workspace includes 24" bandsaw, 14" bandsaw, 12" jointer, drillpress, 6040 CNC router table, DeWalt scroll saw, lightbox, wood processing chamber,  filtered air clean bench, wood storage, and racks to store the tons of miscellaneous stuff.  Everything that can possibly be on wheels, is... and needs to be.  I'm maxed out.

Edit: also... grinding/sharpening cart, oscillating spindle sander, air compressor, shop vac.