Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnviolin

Show your ground!

1 hour ago, finnfinnviolin said:

I’ll go first, two different light sources, bench lamp and standard UV shop lighting

D5005CCA-7364-40F1-B192-BA3C29C1C30A.jpeg

FCAE4E50-B7BD-479F-8E97-CD675B98BF97.jpeg

Gorgeous!  :)

4 hours ago, finnfinnviolin said:

I’ll go first, two different light sources, bench lamp and standard UV shop lighting

"Ladies and gentlemen, let me show you my ground!"

Well, what is it?

28 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

"Ladies and gentlemen, let me show you my ground!"

Well, what is it?

I was more thinking along the lines of people posting pictures of their own grounds 

but I'm happy to share what this is. 

This is:

-UV

-nitrite applied along with white vinegar

- glue size to the top

- whiskey, egg white cambium and saffron tincture 

70hr cook lean colophony varnish. About 55%resin to 45% oil. Burnished with glass power until it’s all sealed.

This photo was taken the last time I stripped this instrument this ground was applied about 3 years ago, I’m pleased with the lightfastness of the yellow.

11 hours ago, finnfinnviolin said:

Wow, with this wood you probably wouldn't need any ground at all....:D:P

5 hours ago, Emilg said:

All very beautiful ..  Michael i am very curious how you made that ground, looks pretty golden and warm

2 hours ago, finnfinnviolin said:

Very very nice

Thank you guys. It is my latest concoct strongly inspired by Brandmair Greiner  and Padding.

The layers are horse shit, protein, and a very light ground layer of an oxidized varnish containing 80% resin/20% linseed oil. This lean varnish seems to have a positive stiffness/weight effect if there is only a mild penetration.

46 minutes ago, Michael Szyper said:

Thank you guys. It is my latest concoct strongly inspired by Brandmair Greiner  and Padding.

The layers are horse shit, protein, and a very light ground layer of an oxidized varnish containing 80% resin/20% linseed oil. This lean varnish seems to have a positive stiffness/weight effect if there is only a mild penetration.

Thanks Michael, interesting stuff, i'll have to read some more about this approach and try some

10 hours ago, Michael Szyper said:

What do you call protein? Caisean?

6 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Can you show a photo of a larger area?

Unfortunately I varnished this piece already. But here is another sample - it appears more yellow and cooler because of almost no uv tanning of the wood.

1065E3B3-6DE6-4272-8AA9-C9CC5B9D1668.jpeg

On 7/20/2019 at 2:36 PM, Michael Szyper said:

Amazing how different people can read Brandmair Greiner and come up with completely different substances to match the findings.  

I like when someone starts a thread on this subject matter.

Here's mine from a few years ago,  resting on laurels.. translation.. too lazy to do a new version.  :D

Everything looks good on curly maple,  you should all post your ground on spruce. 

ground.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

Everything looks good on curly maple...

... if the lighting is right.  Directional light in a dark room looks totally  different from outdoor bright overcast sky lighting.

And then there's the issue of a single photograph not being able to differentiate between burned flames and a high-contrast, perfect chatoyance sample.