Sign in to follow this  
Three13

Bull market in Austrian fiddles?

17 hours ago, duane88 said:

not in that condition...

I can't imagine it being a fraction of that in great condition.

1 hour ago, Three13 said:

I can't image it being a fraction of that in great condition.

Not sure I follow you. In better condition it would be less?

Between the worms,the bad repairs, and the hideous attempt at a volute graft, there really isn't much left aside from a $3700 label.

Considering the low quality of the photos it looks like a generic old Viennese and won't be "bull market" in a great condition. Surely not in the actual.

20 minutes ago, fiddlecollector said:

Hurry they`ve reduced the price by 366,300 euros for a limited time.:rolleyes:

Still not a steep enough reduction...

It should not be forgotten, that Mathias Thir would make one a violin for 6 Gulden, or one for 12 Gulden, depending if you wanted a really good violin, or a basic one (which also work remarkably well) Mathias Thir was one of the few Viennese makers who died, leaving a largish wealth, so he obviously knew what worked well. Here, there are plenty of the 6 Gulden Thir’s in a beaten up state, which are well worth painstakingly restoring, if you get one for next to nothing, and the 12 Gulden ones, which are really nice objects, and are far to nice for Ebay.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:06 PM, Bill Merkel said:

here's an old woman playing the fiddle in the auction like a cello

Nice goatee...

On 7/19/2019 at 5:06 PM, Bill Merkel said:

here's an old woman playing the fiddle in the auction like a cello

I think that's a guy.

I see 88 beat me to the comment.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:00 PM, jacobsaunders said:

It should not be forgotten, that Mathias Thir would make one a violin for 6 Gulden, or one for 12 Gulden, depending if you wanted a really good violin, or a basic one (which also work remarkably well) Mathias Thir was one of the few Viennese makers who died, leaving a largish wealth, so he obviously knew what worked well. Here, there are plenty of the 6 Gulden Thir’s in a beaten up state, which are well worth painstakingly restoring, if you get one for next to nothing, and the 12 Gulden ones, which are really nice objects, and are far to nice for Ebay.

Would like to see some examples to compare the 6 gulden between the 12 gulden work.

7 hours ago, chrissweden said:

Would like to see some examples to compare the 6 gulden between the 12 gulden work.

I would too. I always look at instruments attributed to this maker. Some are better than others, but I never noticed a distinct line. Maybe I've never actually handled a 12g example.

The varnish is a strong giveaway. The cheaper ones have a thin color layer with a clear coat over it (if it hasn't worn away). The fancier ones have a thicker, softer varnish with the color in the varnish itself. Jacob will howl at me, but i'd say the fancier varnish looks like what one expects to see on an "Italian" violin, even, dare i say it, "Venetien."

A year or two ago, I recommended everyone on the forum to order the “Franz Geissenhof und seine Zeit” book from the Kunsthistorishe Museum, whilst they had it on special offer. This book has a long chapter on the Thir family, with the newest archival research. There are also some nice Mathias instruments illustrated on pages 230/237.

On page 292 they reproduce his probate inventory, compiled by the sworn in experts, Geissenhof and Bogner. It seems the difference might have been more than I remembered. They list (amongst others) 22 ordinary varnished and not quite finished violins at 2 Gulden and 30 Kreutzer each (1 Gulden = 60 Kreutzer) and a “New violin, not quite finished" at 24 Gulden

For anyone who neglected to buy the book when I said so, the next best is the slightly older Österreichische Musiklexikon http://www.musiklexikon.ac.at/ml/musik_T/Thier_Familie.xml;internal&action=hilite.action&Parameter=Thier