Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Problem with Gillet Button

Hi folks, I have a problem with the button on my Gillet bow and I hope somebody can help me with it. The button has a pinned silver cap. The problem is that the wood over which the Is placed appears to have shrunk a little bit over time, and the Is very slightly loose and sometimes when I play it rattles a little bit. it’s very slight and probably nobody hears it except me but it’s amazingly annoying.

The dilemma is how to fix it without removing the cap, which is pinned.

This is the photo from the appraisal papers I have, but I’m happy to provide others if they might help.This is the photo from the appraisal papers I have, but I’m happy to provide others if they might help.

7BB5DF90-88F2-4B33-86EB-60830897B420.jpeg

The core is ebony, so if you wick some thin hide glue inbetween the silver and ebony it might help. Anything else would be dangerous or require the cap be removed. I know that hide glue doesn't bond well to silver, but partly we are interested in swelling to ebony core a bit. 

I did remove a silver cap from a Gillet button and found, sadly, that the pin was placed after the screw was inserted, so the pin was pulled inside when the cap came off. It was a mess, but repaired invisibly. Lesson learned.

Resist the urge to use other "alternative adhesives". I know that the thinnest CA will wick in and solve the problem, but it isn't easily reversible.

9 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Why not ask the person who rehairs your bows when you next have it in?

He said he couldn’t do it easily, I don’t remember why. initially he was going to just squirt some glue inside but then determined that he couldn’t do it that way and was at a loss for how to do it.