Sign in to follow this  
Jacob

Violin ID

There is no maker's label inside the instrument, only a Dutch repair label from 1958. Any ideas would be appreciated.Top.thumb.JPG.a14880f138131c046de791d3c3161118.JPGBack.thumb.JPG.7bccb3017d4692ff6f37c1c07b5c9405.JPGHead2.thumb.JPG.54ae66a02f0044b83616663df4032d18.JPGSide.thumb.JPG.cf2933c1754fcadc06879e0666a21f63.JPGHead3.thumb.JPG.556685c2d5a69bc34ad3aa2ca185af9d.JPGC-bout.thumb.JPG.57a6503e0e8325f7ec96401e83f1297a.JPGHead1.thumb.JPG.1c346999e9525a1130161e198079057a.JPGSoundholes.thumb.JPG.179cce30e3823cfaad3820d217ac5afe.JPG

You will need marketing copy like this though:)

This is a happy violin – I love it. It has a bright and reedy sound, it’s very responsive, and it always sounds sophisticated. There’s a lovely shimmer to the tone, yet it speaks clearly – very smooth and even, and feeling quite effortless. It retains these qualities throughout the range – it sounds great on the G, and it keeps sounding great all the way up the E into the dusty reaches.

“Mozartian” … is that a word?

Like I said, it depends.;) But nothing wrong with cherishing Deutsche Wertarbeit. Shouldn't be less than a good Mirecourt.

Were these instruments made by single makers or in workshops? Are they typically unlabeled?

Typically they would be largely made by a schachtelmacher and the other divisions of labour, then finished by the bloke who put his label in (or not)

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

This is a happy violin – I love it. It has a bright and reedy sound, it’s very responsive, and it always sounds sophisticated. There’s a lovely shimmer to the tone, yet it speaks clearly – very smooth and even, and feeling quite effortless. It retains these qualities throughout the range – it sounds great on the G, and it keeps sounding great all the way up the E into the dusty reaches.

You need to attend the Padah-Hound school of business to write like this.

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Typically they would be largely made by a schachtelmacher and the other divisions of labour, then finished by the bloke who put his label in (or not)

Built on-the-back or interior/exterior mold?

2 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I can't tell from your pictures, but by that time outside mould quite possible

Would outside mould be French influence?

That looks very much like a Fritz Monnig I saw a while ago - the one in question was labeled "Wien", although I think he worked between there and Markneukirchen. Mr. Saunders probably knows better than anyone else.

2 hours ago, Three13 said:

That looks very much like a Fritz Monnig I saw a while ago - the one in question was labeled "Wien", although I think he worked between there and Markneukirchen. Mr. Saunders probably knows better than anyone else.

It doesn't look anything like a Mönig Vienna to me. Mönig was an alcoholic, and his fiddles often look like it. There are/were many anecdotes of him having violin-making races with Prüller. I don't know who won

3 hours ago, Swing Monkey 1 said:

Where is Padah-Hound  lately?  Is he still in business?

For 12 years I did repair and set up work on most of the violins that Jesse sold.   The business model that enabled him to sell violins on Ebay successfully for about 15 years stopped working.  On the buying end, he found it harder to find the types of violins that he did well with, and when he could find them he had to pay more for them.  And on the selling end, the prices he was getting declined and many violins were returned by the winning bidders.  He discontinued his violin business late in 2017.  He is now using his prodigious marketing skills to sell high-end motor homes and recreational vehicles.

4 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

For 12 years I did repair and set up work on most of the violins that Jesse sold.   The business model that enabled him to sell violins on Ebay successfully for about 15 years stopped working.  On the buying end, he found it harder to find the types of violins that he did well with, and when he could find them he had to pay more for them.  And on the selling end, the prices he was getting declined and many violins were returned by the winning bidders.  He discontinued his violin business late in 2017.  He is now using his prodigious marketing skills to sell high-end motor homes and recreational vehicles.

Thanks, Brad!  :)

8 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

The business model that enabled him to sell violins on Ebay successfully for about 15 years stopped working.

Could have something to do with Maestronet.B)

15 hours ago, deans said:

You need to attend the Padah-Hound school of business to write like this.

I'm a little puzzled by the "dusty" upper reaches.

I would expect the dust to collect in the lower valleys, and not on the shining e-string mountain top.