Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

Any chance this viola is by the person on the label?

If I had to bet, I would say it is not a "handmade" instrument as we view it here in the US. At it's current price who cares? Looks like a serviceable instrument for a student etc.

Is Tarisio always this 'iffy' on their attributions? :ph34r:

7 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

Why not write and ask him if this viola is his?

If he's alerted to it and it is his, he will bid on it to resell it and increase the auction price by an order of magnitude.

6 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

If he's alerted to it and it is his, he will bid on it to resell it and increase the auction price by an order of magnitude.

I have called makers before when I see their stuff at auction.  To the best of my knowledge, they did not bid on it.  If they did, it wasn't much.  To a one, they were extremely helpful: telling me, variously: a) it was an early model, my new stuff is much better; b) it's pretty good, sounds like a bargain; c) fantastic deal, I know where it came from, it's a customer of mine who bought something better, or a customer of mine who is retiring, etc. 

7 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

If this is the case, than what is preventing the hundreds of other viewers of this lot from also avoiding contacting the maker? If anything, you are at a disadvantage to those that have actually contacted him.

That Viola is genuine. I have a Jan Pawlikowski Violin which is very similar in every way. However, it has no resale value as mine has been up on reverb for more than a year

17 hours ago, SuganthCello said:

That Viola is genuine. I have a Jan Pawlikowski Violin which is very similar in every way. However, it has no resale value as mine has been up on reverb for more than a year

How is yours as an instrument?

On 7/18/2019 at 1:32 PM, JRyn said:

If this is the case, than what is preventing the hundreds of other viewers of this lot from also avoiding contacting the maker? If anything, you are at a disadvantage to those that have actually contacted him.

That's a great point!  If I owned the instrument being auctioned, I'd contact the maker myself.  Surely not every maker knows every time an instrument of his is up for auction though.  Sorry for calling you Shirley.

On 7/22/2019 at 7:00 AM, SuganthCello said:

how are you so certain? to me, the varnish looks like its sprayed on... everything about it screams Romanian of Czech in a bad way. I don't see any personal work in it. Label looks like it came out of an inkjet printer as well.

2 hours ago, chrissweden said:

how are you so certain? to me, the varnish looks like its sprayed on... everything about it screams Romanian of Czech in a bad way. I don't see any personal work in it. Label looks like it came out of an inkjet printer as well.

He is a modern maker so why not use a printer for his labels?

heres a label from a 2001 violin

418977_10151224210040086_1404233398_n.jpg