Sign in to follow this  
ClefLover

Krentz wolf tone eliminator varnish issues?

I have purchased a Krentz wolf tone eliminator for my son as a gift upon his return from travels early next month.  In the process of looking up installation, I noticed several cellos that have developed a circle of worn varnish due to the top magnet and/or felt protection. Is there a way to avoid this?  I’d rather have a systematic plan prior to gifting the eliminator, or just find something else to give him.  

I have noticed the same thing.  I would cut a small disk of kitchen wax paper and place under the top magnet.  The wax paper is slippery and will also separate the padding material from the varnish.

I do not know if the padding material is reacting with the varnish or this is wear due to the top moving up and down and the magnet slightly moving with the motion.  French polish will probably restore the luster.

Mike D

Some varnishes are soft and will flow under pressure, and I'd expect them to squeeze out or otherwise show marks from the prolonged magnetic pressure.  The felt of the wolf eliminator would likely leave a fuzzy looking imprint on that kind of varnish, and the wax paper idea might leave a more desirable imprint.  If you're a fussy adjuster and move the eliminator around all the time looking for the perfect spot, that would be a wear problem.

I’ve not seen wear, but simply an impression from the felt as Don mentioned.  If I’m at all concerned about the varnish being soft, I cover the felt with clear plastic tape.  The wax paper mentioned above will work too.  If the varnish is really soft, it will still take an impression, but at least it won’t have the texture of the felt.

Okay, thanks!  I’ll have it ready for him.  And bake some pastries while I’m at it (I packed his cello using wax paper plus the tiny circle’s worth, which means i have enough paper to make ALOT of pastries). 

Both of his cellos have oil varnishes, which might be better than a spirit. I’ve already fitted the Krentz with a circular piece of wax paper.  Can’t imagine it causing any harm now.