Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

T2 lot 105 et al

I was quite surprised to find that the books are of greater interest than the bows. I really want some of those books. Some of the bows are very interesting as well, but I actually got a reply to my inquiry as to where all the stuff came from.

The bows were acquired by a wholesaler in Europe in the 1960-90s and are new-old stock. They are all in pristine condition, having never be played, and are not defective or irregular stock.”

lot 105 is of particular interest, haha.

I do have a question about wood, however. Is it possible to discern wood quality from only a photo, even a photo as high-quality as these?

Specifically, is the top bow in this photograph of lesser quality wood then the other two, or is it impossible to tell?

The bottom one seems to have a much more defined grain, but the middle looks like best wood.

can one tell?

CA71B6BE-FA17-4F65-B286-7E9D26A08584.jpeg

Edited by PhilipKT
Doubling & typos

I won’t question the use of the word Pristine since I have not seen them in person. But why do some have the hair cut out and the winding unraveled on some? Bow bugs and corrosion, respectively?

As for your photo, the top one looks like wood I have seen that is really dried out and “flakey” over time (or looks dried out). Can that happen if they were not stored in a humidity controlled environment? Just because they put those in the same lot does not mean the were stored in the same place for 30 years. Just guessing though.

1 hour ago, jacklinks said:

I won’t question the use of the word Pristine since I have not seen them in person. But why do some have the hair cut out and the winding unraveled on some? Bow bugs and corrosion, respectively?

As for your photo, the top one looks like wood I have seen that is really dried out and “flakey” over time (or looks dried out). Can that happen if they were not stored in a humidity controlled environment? Just because they put those in the same lot does not mean the were stored in the same place for 30 years. Just guessing though.

To me, the top wood looks porous, Without the density one wants to see in good quality pernambuco.

The bottom wood is arguably more attractive, but I think the middle stick is the best quality, but that’s why am asking the crowd because everybody here knows more… And some express themselves politely

I agree completely that they weren’t put in the same lot, logically you put one or two appealing bows with a pile of lesser stuff, with the understanding all around that you buy it for the two good ones and you accept  the mediocrities in the bargain.

21 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

To me, the top wood looks porous, Without the density one wants to see in good quality pernambuco.

The bottom wood is arguably more attractive, but I think the middle stick is the best quality

Definitely agree that the middle one looks the best, but I’m not an expert. You used a good word “Porous” to describe #1. I said dry meaning it’s like the wood has contracted/tightened and the grain opened up some. I’m not sure if that is the quantity of the wood or if any finish has sort of melted off, exposed it, and caused the porousness. 

If you buy a Lot of ten and get one good player out of the bunch, it still may be a good deal.

I noticed that all the bows are "stamped, maker name" instead of "by, maker name", i.e no guarantee by Tarisio on attribution.  There seems to be a lot of action already, so maybe this is not a concern.