Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Preuss

Are claims that Borax treatment on spruce enhance acoustic properties correct?

1 minute ago, JacksonMaberry said:

It doesn't get much simpler than melting rosin in a base, precipitating with a salt, and cooking the precipitant in oil, but whatever floats your boat. 

I'm too lazy to even cook food.

27 minutes ago, sospiri said:

...................................I want to find the simplest and easiest methods...............Next step is for a cold colostrum layer to see if it affects the colour.

Ummmm..............why?  :huh:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colostrum

Is your autoprompt/spell-checker doing your composition for you?  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Ummmm..............why?  :huh:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colostrum

Is your autoprompt/spell-checker doing your composition for you?  :lol:

No, not this time, this typo was auto suggestion from reading an article about a dubious food supplement.

But thanks for drawing my attention to my lousy proofreading Violadear.

15 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Hang in there, bud. 

Thanks   Jackson. I think you might be interested in my techniques as a Stainer admirer? For example, was his varnish homogenous?  

1 hour ago, sospiri said:

Thanks   Jackson. I think you might be interested in my techniques as a Stainer admirer? For example, was his varnish homogenous?  

I am a Stainer admirer, to be sure. I have handled two of them, but have not examined any under UV. From what I could discern under natural light from the wear, it seemed pretty similar to other fine violins of the period I've seen - some sort of ground in the wood and a colored varnish above it. 

But I am not a copyist, and I am not a seeker after the "original recipe". I have worked hard to understand the geometric rules that govern the arching, how wood selection and grads play into that calculus, and how the bassbar and setup maximize the potential of the corpus. When it comes to the largely aesthetic concerns of texture and wood finishing process, my aim is to have the instrument look like I made it, not Stainer.