Sign in to follow this  
Phoebe2

ID this violin?

Is that also possible a mass-produced factory French, given the one-piece table plate (and slightly better than the typical scroll and button of the 'usual'), especially if all corners are blocked?

Pay attention to Jacob!! Even I can see the typical Mk. signs. These instruments often have false blocks, so, unless you have had the top off, the blocks aren't for sure. One piece plates don't mean anything.

Actually I wouldn't bother taking the top off to look for real blocks. I think there is enough to see from the outside to be confident that Jacob is correct. Besides, sometimes they do have real blocks, and it usually doesn't matter one bit in terms of playability/sound/value.

It's not a one piece top. These have grain starting finer at one side and getting wider to the other, while the OP has wider grain at both sides and it's getting finer to the middle. Therefore it's jointed, even if the joint is invisible.

1 hour ago, deans said:

Actually I wouldn't bother taking the top off to look for real blocks. I think there is enough to see from the outside to be confident that Jacob is correct. Besides, sometimes they do have real blocks, and it usually doesn't matter one bit in terms of playability/sound/value.

I wasn't suggesting that they take the top off. The "fully blocked and lined" seems to show up on fleabay quite a lot. 

My point is, to the OP, that if you haven't had the top off, you can't really make a statement about blocks or not.

Yes, fleabay buyers will want to know, with no uncertainty, if it is fully blocked and lined. And you don't want to be accused of screwing somebody out of $50.

On 7/12/2019 at 4:11 PM, Blank face said:

It's not a one piece top. These have grain starting finer at one side and getting wider to the other, while the OP has wider grain at both sides and it's getting finer to the middle. Therefore it's jointed, even if the joint is invisible.

Not always... but in this case correct, it's 2 pieces, because grain orientation runs in opposite direction on the 2 halves. 

I am pretty sure it's nothing to do with France, I also see Czec 20th century.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:12 PM, jacobsaunders said:

Cottage Industry work from the Markneukirchen (Saxon) area, probably a little pre-WWI

I do agree with Jocob and all the others (especially for clarifying the two-piece top plate). It is, at least most likely, a Marki.

2 hours ago, zhiyi_zhang617 said:

Not to be disappointed to know it is a Marki, as Roth and Juzek (Master Art) are 100% Marki.

Not true with the Juzeks. Even the Master Arts.