Sign in to follow this  
Joe Swenson

Sorry for the long hiatus -- Cello Update and Question on Soundpost Selection

Hi All,

Long time since I've been here. My apologies. Hoping to be more regular here, again...

Yes I finished my first cello build (way too may pictures of the final process, but I'll try to update my Bench post. I've been playing it now for a year. AND LOVE IT!  Has a few issues, and my share of minor mistakes.  Wolf tone not in the best place now.  It migrated over the past year from between F and F# (loved it) to smack dab on F natural {not loving it) . Neck vibration on open D as in my previous cello, in spite of proper maple and ebony thickness (Easy to address (again} with a little mass attached under the end of the fingerboard). But it is so easy to play. Wonderful tone.  All I wanted was a cello better than the one I was playing before.  So yep. I'm thrilled. 4 years was well spent. LOL :rolleyes:

OK, so my current question comes from repairing a few violins recently and noticing the different pitches in the different soundposts I have sampled, when they are dropped on a hard surface.  My brain tells me to pick the material which rings the best and has the best tone (to my ear).  But I realized that some of the pitches produced by the soundposts are much higher than others, while other soundposts seem to have no pitch at all (those get rejected). I tend to go for the ones that I can "hear" the best which means a certain frequency as well as loudness.

Is there some rule of thumb about sound post selection with regards to what pitch is the best, say, for a violin or cello?  I know the pitch depends upon the length and diameter.  But as with most things Luthier, there is a preferred option. 

Just wondering what that was...

Cheers,
Joe

20180708_171809.jpg

20180706_102730.jpg

20180706_102713.jpg

Wow, Joe! Looks great. And it looks like you really figured out how to make varnish too. Excellent, awesome. I'm happy for you and glad to see you are back.

(Have nothing to offer you on soundpost selection, sorry)

1 hour ago, not telling said:

Wow, Joe! Looks great. And it looks like you really figured out how to make varnish too. Excellent, awesome. I'm happy for you and glad to see you are back.

(Have nothing to offer you on soundpost selection, sorry)

Thanks!  
Glad to be back!