Sign in to follow this  
Sreepathy

Need help in restoration

I have old violin which I am trying to restore for the emotional value it brings for my teacher. I need to get the rib liners which require replacement, I'm not able to source in India; any help welcome, I can pay the cost.

Any light native wood should work and you can bend them with either heat and steam or make counterforms, boil them, and clamp them into the counterforms. Wait for them to dry and then glue them and shape them.

Hi luv, I've got aged willow rib linings. And they are no way rubbish And can be soaked and do not split. Very old British willow. Dense. I can tell you how to clamp them and how to make the clamps. Honestly, making the clamps is better than clothes pegs.

If inserting into c bout corner blocks, just a bit of a pain, cos you have to get them made first.

Easy job, once learnt on a cross quarter piece of corner block. In En gg land made from right grain willow wood too.

Saltwd boiled water to soak the rib linings, a router drill bit on a drill, or be posh and buy junk like a sremel and spend a year or years working out how to attach bits to it. Bloody nighmare, best use a regular old hand drill attached 45 degrees to a workmate bench.

Anyway, a fine saw will do insertion easiest. Just be careful of over edging within the rib oe you will have a Strad built piece of junk lil! Pm me hunny. X