Sign in to follow this  
Rue

What emotive music makes YOU cry?

https://amp.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/violin/sad-violin-pieces/

This was an interesting selection! :)

I can agree with some of them - not so much with others.

Strangely enough, one piece that makes me really sad is Dvorak's Humoresque. It didn't make the cut.

And I was surprised to see Ashokan Farewell - I have never seen the appeal. It doesn't sound like anything to me, never mind cry-worthy. Entirely forgettable.

What makes you tear-up?

***musically - not lyrics...

Many years ago I was chatting online with a girl I had met in a poetry chat room. She was an educated college student, but she could not abide any kind of music but rap or hip-hop. We took our chat to instant message and began sharing various pieces. I heard and regretted more rap in that chat then ever before or since, but we had promised each other that we would listen to whatever was shared, so I was honoring my promise, as was she. I was choosing music that was brief, so she would not have to listen for too long beyond her apparent four-minute attention span.
Without translating the title, I shared “Beim Schlafengehen,” one of the “Four Last Songs” of Richard Strauss.
After about two minutes, she shared the most astonishing comment I have ever heard regarding music.
“I’m crying. Why am I crying?”
This young college student had been listening exclusively to rap, hip hop and similar genres for her entire musical life. She was not just ignorant of classical, but hated it( an illogic that is nonetheless all too common in life.)
And yet, an operatic soprano, backed by a full orchestra, singing an aria in a language she did not understand, affected her so deeply she was crying without knowing why.
“Beim Schlafengehen” translates literally as “at the sleep going” or “at Bed time” and is about death. Dying, sweetly sinking into a peaceful, forever sleep. Strauss wrote these four songs to commemorate his own death, and he did die shortly after they were written.

(thats an excerpt from an entry on my website about exactly this question. Hope it’s not too long a contribution.)

On 6/29/2019 at 6:43 PM, Rue said:

https://amp.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/violin/sad-violin-pieces/

This was an interesting selection! :)

I can agree with some of them - not so much with others.

Strangely enough, one piece that makes me really sad is Dvorak's Humoresque. It didn't make the cut.

And I was surprised to see Ashokan Farewell - I have never seen the appeal. It doesn't sound like anything to me, never mind cry-worthy. Entirely forgettable.

What makes you tear-up?

***musically - not lyrics...

After seeing this, and long consideration, I feel that instrumental music alone doesn't sadden me, which is one reason that I mostly listen to classical.  To set off my waterworks takes context and associations.  There are movies, plays, operas, poetry, and songs/lyrics which put me in tears, but classical music (with some few modern exceptions I won't go into) is a refuge of peace for me.  :)

I cry easily.  Here are some sure fire things that bring me to tears: Bach Chaconne, the andante movement of Elgar's string quartet in e-minor, the Elgar serenade for strings, the "Nimrod" variation  of Elgar's Enigma Variations, Beethoven's 9th symphony choral movement,  Brahms's Requiem, etc.

Elgar frequently does it for me too. I remember a performance of the Dream of Gerontius in Salisbury Cathedral where I could scarcely play to the end, and the mezzo soprano almost had to be carried off the platform!

7 hours ago, matesic said:

Elgar frequently does it for me too. I remember a performance of the Dream of Gerontius in Salisbury Cathedral where I could scarcely play to the end, and the mezzo soprano almost had to be carried off the platform!

Often refered to as an achingly sad piece of music, even to the point of anticipating the outbreak of World War One. As ridiiculous as that sounds, the 'Deejays' on Classic FM actually describe it thus.

Actually it was meant to be Soupir d'Amour, but he change the title to Sospiri.

And that's how I interpreted it, the first time I heard it, as an expression of joy not sorrow.

Loure from Bach Partita 3 or the Kreisler cadenza from the Beethoven violin concerto are big ones for me that bring me to the point of tears when performed well. The violin can be so beautiful but melancholy and lonely sounding at the same time. Ditto the slow movements of Vivaldi's four seasons; they just sound so surreal and I feel like I'm being catapulted into another time solely through one man's music.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:49 PM, gowan said:

I cry easily.  Here are some sure fire things that bring me to tears: Bach Chaconne, the andante movement of Elgar's string quartet in e-minor, the Elgar serenade for strings, the "Nimrod" variation  of Elgar's Enigma Variations, Beethoven's 9th symphony choral movement,  Brahms's Requiem, etc.

The nimrod variation makes me cry because I played it for my older brother’s funeral and it was one of our favorite pieces.

the chaconne makes me cry because I can’t play it well.

And the one song that really makes me cry for no reason is the oboe song from the motion picture “The Mission.” Composed by ennio morricone? I think.

So sorry about your brother. :(

Gabriel's Oboe is beautiful. We performed it a couple of years ago.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:19 PM, violinnewb said:

The nimrod variation makes me cry because I played it for my older brother’s funeral and it was one of our favorite pieces.

the chaconne makes me cry because I can’t play it well.

And the one song that really makes me cry for no reason is the oboe song from the motion picture “The Mission.” Composed by ennio morricone? I think.

That whole movie made me cry. Especially the epilogue, where we learned that that kind of oppression remains today.

Senza Mama from Suor Angelica. She is singing Italian, and I don’t speak Italian, so for me it counts as instrumental.

Marrieta’s Lied from Die Tote Stadt. I do speak German but the same applies here. (Schwarzkopf is the best)

The Heiligedankgesang from Beethoven 132 quartet.

The finale of act one of Hansel & Gretl ( Evening Prayer) when the angels come down to guard the sleeping children. Cried like a baby every performance.

the slow movement of the Bach Double Violin concerto.

several more but those are which come to mind at the moment.

I think there is music that causes emotional reactions for some people by its melodic or harmonic nature and then there is music that causes such reactions because of context.

"Ashokan Fairwell" has a contextual impact, related to the upstate New York boys who went off to fight in the largely southern Civil War, likely to suffer from wounds, disease or death - never again to see the lush green of the Ashokan Valley and possibly never to be seen again by their loving families. For me the song carries an added special meaning because one of my uncles was a lawyer for the water department  of New York City whose job for some years was to work on condemning and paying for all the properties of in the valley, so it could become the Ashokan Reservoir, the major water supply for the great city 107 miles to the south. It is one of those places that is gone!

What strikes me is that everyone here is talking about a piece making you cry because it is sad.  I never actually cry due to a piece of music but do get a great well of emotion that I could see easily cause tears.   But never sad.   Mahler 1, Beethoven 7 (especially the Allegretto), 5th, 6th, 9th, to just name a few all do this for me.   Popular tunes done well and in the right context, such as Hallelujah, and yes, Ashokan Farewell can do this as well.   I had a student, a young lady in her early 30s, who was working on the Meditation from Thais and I played it for her in a lesson with commentary on what I was doing and why, to get her to feel the rubato and dynamic ebb and flow of the piece.  When I finished, I was surprised to see that she had tears streaming down her face -  I have seen that reaction from people in memorial services that I have played it for, but there was in the context of a sad event.    But I have to say, if you didn't cry, at least just a little in the beginning of the movie "UP" with the music "Married Life" there is something wrong with you, in fact this is used by psychologists to determine empathy in patients, but course this is also music superimposed over a sad event or sad or moving story and in that context i understand the tears for sadness, but not for the music alone.  

7 hours ago, DR. S said:

What strikes me is that everyone here is talking about a piece making you cry because it is sad. 

But I have to say, if you didn't cry, at least just a little in the beginning of the movie "UP" with the music "Married Life" there is something wrong with you, in fact this is used by psychologists to determine empathy in patients, but course this is also music superimposed over a sad event or sad or moving story and in that context i understand the tears for sadness, but not for the music alone.  

No not simply sad. It's a cocktail of emotions including sorrow, joy and the sense of the ineffable. Musico/dramatic context also plays a big part (in other words memory of what's gone before). I only need to think about the end of Janacek's Cunning Little Vixen opera to get a catch in my throat, and a lot more Janacek that's by no means sad has me constantly wiping my eyes.

But please don't expect everyone to respond exactly like you do. Much of the music that gets to me means nothing to many others, and vice versa. I remember one broadcaster seriously suggested anyone who didn't like Mozart must be a bad person. You'd better lock me away before I do something dreadful

On 7/31/2019 at 4:13 PM, DR. S said:

What strikes me is that everyone here is talking about a piece making you cry because it is sad.  I never actually cry due to a piece of music but do get a great well of emotion that I could see easily cause tears.   But never sad.   Mahler 1, Beethoven 7 (especially the Allegretto), 5th, 6th, 9th, to just name a few all do this for me.   Popular tunes done well and in the right context, such as Hallelujah, and yes, Ashokan Farewell can do this as well.   I had a student, a young lady in her early 30s, who was working on the Meditation from Thais and I played it for her in a lesson with commentary on what I was doing and why, to get her to feel the rubato and dynamic ebb and flow of the piece.  When I finished, I was surprised to see that she had tears streaming down her face -  I have seen that reaction from people in memorial services that I have played it for, but there was in the context of a sad event.    But I have to say, if you didn't cry, at least just a little in the beginning of the movie "UP" with the music "Married Life" there is something wrong with you, in fact this is used by psychologists to determine empathy in patients, but course this is also music superimposed over a sad event or sad or moving story and in that context i understand the tears for sadness, but not for the music alone.  

Hmmm...I actually listed three songs and three different reasons for the tears. 

The first song was because it related to an event. The second song, as with many pieces for me, was related to frustration.  The last one was just because.  Gabriel's Oboe makes me cry regardless of whether I am actively thinking about the movie.  

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any piece that makes me cry from happiness. lol

People are stimulated to cry for many reasons, feelings of joy, feelings of sadness even just in the presence of beauty.  I don't see Elgar's "Nimrod" variation from the Enigma Variations is not sad, it expresses his feelings of love and gratitude for a dear friend.  I have cried in an art museum from seeing a particularly beautiful painting.  And it is common for people to cry at weddings, at least some of them for joy.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:10 AM, violinnewb said:

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any piece that makes me cry from happiness. lol

there are passages in Mahler's 1st, Mvnt 1, Beethoven's 5th and 6th, to just name a few, that bring waves of emotions that verge on tears, and these are emotions of pure joy. 

I did not mean to imply that sadness is the only reason people cry from music, just surprised at how dominant that reason seemed to be in the thread.

11 minutes ago, DR. S said:

there are passages in Mahler's 1st, Mvnt 1, Beethoven's 5th and 6th, to just name a few, that bring waves of emotions that verge on tears, and these are emotions of pure joy. 

I did not mean to imply that sadness is the only reason people cry from music, just surprised at how dominant that reason seemed to be in the thread.

Yes.  I agree on that note.  I think that a lot of people associate music with high and low points in their lives and Lord knows I have had more lows than highs.  So sad.