Sign in to follow this  
JacksonMaberry

If you had to choose - Scroll vs Band Saw

You need quite a shop for a 30" bandsaw. Even more interesting are the big ship saws - the blade moves, the table stays flat - like such http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=13257.

Anyways, buy a good bandsaw. If you find yourself needing/wanting a scroll saw eventually they are, imo/ime, quite cheaply available used on the market right now. At least in the midwest. <$100 for a 24" model of heavy iron vintage.

Guess my guitar building/repair set me up well for other [fiddle] projects? I have; a 14" Delta bandsaw, a couple of good scroll saws, several fret and Japanese hand saws, and a collection of traditional cabinet makers saws.

What I really need is to get off my butt and get on with making sawdust.:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Carl Johnson said:

You need quite a shop for a 30" bandsaw. Even more interesting are the big ship saws - the blade moves, the table stays flat - like such http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=13257.

Anyways, buy a good bandsaw. If you find yourself needing/wanting a scroll saw eventually they are, imo/ime, quite cheaply available used on the market right now. At least in the midwest. <$100 for a 24" model of heavy iron vintage.

Hi All - here is the essential  youtube primer on the fitting of bass-bars - never, ever be nervous about attacking the job again.

No self respecting luthier's shop should be without these tools. No job will be too big for you.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrJ6R2apCBdVNoAiRlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZGs5bDRnBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjc2NzZfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=sampson+boat+co&fr=tightropetb#id=56&vid=f634fd258b2533bd24c6a65120ed3ae5&action=view

Enjoy - edi

2 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

To me there is no need for such monstrosities in a violin shop as a 30" bandsaw lol.

"Want" trumps need.

Every time.

Thus:

771539369_Bandsaw-Aggie.thumb.JPG.9bdb2d8ebd8d6eca22d54ed46e9ca0ce.JPG

6 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

"Want" trumps need.

Every time.

Thus:

oh' look at that sexy throat, with kicker wheels and everything...there's at least 2 ft ceiling clearance, nice...

17 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

"Want" trumps need.

Every time.

Thus:

It's ummm..great, and white...[Rummages in her bag of literary allusions, and picks up a harpoon].  Well, congratulations, you bagged it.  Now what?  :ph34r::lol:

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

It's ummm..great, and white...[Rummages in her bag of literary allusions, and picks up a harpoon].  Well, congratulations, you bagged it.  Now what?  :ph34r::lol:

Aarg!! Shiver me timbers....!

3 hours ago, jezzupe said:

oh' look at that sexy throat, with kicker wheels and everything...there's at least 2 ft ceiling clearance, nice...

Yes, it does clear the ceiling by 2+ft... but only 2" when I open the garage door.  And it doesn't clear the door opening, which required laying it down to get it in or out.  So much for the dream of getting a Yates or 36" Tannewitz.

3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Well, congratulations, you bagged it.  Now what?  :ph34r::lol:

It's seeing a lot of use lately cutting up MDF sheets for spoilboards and tooling for the CNC.  Very  nice for resawing wedges, too.

On July 1, 31 Heisei at 10:17 PM, Don Noon said:

and so is the price.

If blades last long and replacement blades are not too expensive, cheaper in the long run than some of the cheap bandsaws.

6 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

If blades last long and replacement blades are not too expensive, cheaper in the long run than some of the cheap bandsaws.

I don't see how blade life/cost has much to do with what machine you choose... you get them any length, anywhere, any quality you choose.

The Powermatic 15" is nice... but more expensive than my 24" Agazzani and 14" Delta combined, and I'd rather have what I have.

Jackson,

in the worst case you can do it actually by hand and it doesn't make a big difference for violins and violas. It seems that sharpening the blades of hand saws came out of fashion. 

For cutting f holes I wouldn't even think about a machine drive saw. 

If you are planning to do cello mass production I'd say you need a reliable band saw with enough clearance to cut a back in halves. 

2 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

I don't see how blade life/cost has much to do with what machine you choose... you get them any length, anywhere, any quality you choose.

The Powermatic 15" is nice... but more expensive than my 24" Agazzani and 14" Delta combined, and I'd rather have what I have.

I see.

Here in Japan there are some cheap bandsaws which have a rather high blade consumption. 

I have a tiny 12" Jet bandsaw for over 12 years. I wish it were larger, but the issue was getting something down the basement stairs. Cost was another issue. I run it usually with a half-inch blade. My point is that I adjusted to this small bandsaw, but don't recommend this route for other makers if they can avoid it.

I recently learned how to use a bandsaw and, whilst quite scary at first, is since tame enough and a lot less effort than by hand. Not for fine work though, f holes are much too fiddly for anything but a jewellers saw...

9 hours ago, Anthony Panke said:

I recently learned how to use a bandsaw and, whilst quite scary at first, is since tame enough and a lot less effort than by hand. Not for fine work though, f holes are much too fiddly for anything but a jewellers saw...

You can't use a band saw for F holes for obvious reasons but a well set up bandsaw wit the correct blade should cut a pencil line in half and not be scary :)

On 7/6/2019 at 2:12 PM, Don Noon said:

Certainly the price of one violin would pay for the Powermatic 15". 

In that sense I don't think buying the best is the wrong decision for someone who is just starting out on their career. 

Bought a Delta 14" in 1980. Can't imagine life without it. What's a scroll saw? Sometimes I wish that I had bought the extension so that I could resaw more than 6.5 " though.

7 hours ago, Melvin Goldsmith said:

You can't use a band saw for F holes for obvious reasons but a well set up bandsaw wit the correct blade should cut a pencil line in half and not be scary :)

I got used to it surprisingly quickly and they are accurate and fun to use. However, a good pencil line is 0.5mm, and a bandsaw blade is more like 0.6-0.8. So a thick pencil line is no problem but not one made with a sharp pencil 

In 1972 I bought my first stationary power tool, a 12" Craftsman bandsaw that was already old when I got it. I'm still using it every day. Gotta admit that if I were building I'd likely want something with enough throat depth for resewing larger material. But for what we do in the repair shop, we do a lot of what I'd call whittling with the bandsaw, making the myriad oddball shaped pieces that are needed. Anything that requires much accuracy gets finished by hand anyway, even if many times it's started with the bandsaw. Never owned a scroll saw. For that stuff I use a jewelers saw.