Sign in to follow this  
JacksonMaberry

If you had to choose - Scroll vs Band Saw

I recommend the Rikon 35-026 over the Laguna. Get the Laguna if you don't mind paying around $100 for a new set of ceramic blade guides! Just my .02c.

2 hours ago, violguy said:

I recommend the Rikon 35-026 over the Laguna. Get the Laguna if you don't mind paying around $100 for a new set of ceramic blade guides! Just my .02c.

Can't seem to find that model number listed. Is it out of production? 

22 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

The throat clearance is impressive.  

and so is the price.

22 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Can't seem to find that model number listed. Is it out of production? 

Sorry... The rikon model is 10-326. I have one. It is my 3rd bandsaw and is the Rolls-Royce of bandsaws IMHO. If you google both Laguna and Rikon,pay close attention to the blade guide machanisms on both. Like I mentioned before, the ceramic guides seem like a good idea until one factors in the high cost of replacements.

Good luck with your saw purchase

3 minutes ago, violguy said:

Sorry... The rikon model is 10-326. I have one. It is my 3rd bandsaw and is the Rolls-Royce of bandsaws IMHO. If you google both Laguna and Rikon,pay close attention to the blade guide machanisms on both. Like I mentioned before, the ceramic guides seem like a good idea until one factors in the high cost of replacements.

The photos on Rikon's page for the saw show the saw equipped with bearing guides: https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-326. Maybe the dealer you bought it from upgraded for you? Looks like a lovely saw though. The Laguna 14Bx comes with ceramic guides.

13 minutes ago, violguy said:

As far as subjective preferences go, the thought the Rolls Royce of Bandsaws (for me) is a Yates Y30 ‘snowflake’. 

3 minutes ago, Larry F said:

I"ve been using a 14 inch Rockwell bandsaw with an extension for over 35 years.   In my day it was pretty much the gold standard for luthiers.   

yes!  There is a lot to be said about the Delta/Rockwell design and like you say it is tried and true (porter cable 690 router comes to mind).  Whitney Osterud has done some beautiful restorations of these Rockwell 14" saws!  His are definitely a labor of love though.  But if you could find a decent shape one on craigslist or some such that you could maybe tune-up ( new ballsy motor, paint, lube etc etc) that would server your needs very well IMO.  You would be obligated to add the extension for re-sawing.  Almost all aftermarket bandsaw accessories were originally designed for this saw.  Great idea.  The downside to this idea is that old crotchety woodworkers tend to hang on to them.

I looked at Laguna (Taiwan) and Rikon (China) 14" bandsaws in my local Woodcraft store today. My impression is that they both look better in glossy, well lit online photos than they do in real life. That Chinese aura just doesn't feel right for me.

I have a Rockwell (Delta) 14" with a riser that I bought new in 1982. (I checked my documentation, and I guess I'm getting old.) I feel very lucky that I don't have to go machine shopping today, when virtually everything comes from Asia.

On 7/1/2019 at 11:36 AM, JacksonMaberry said:

The photos on Rikon's page for the saw show the saw equipped with bearing guides: https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-326. Maybe the dealer you bought it from upgraded for you? Looks like a lovely saw though. The Laguna 14Bx comes with ceramic guides.

Did you watch Laguna videos? The blade will need so little callibrating. Not spending 15 minutes preparing and adjusting to make 5 minutes of cuts is reason enough.

Delta is impossible to find. Almost. Keep your eyes open and fingers crossed, otherwise, until that frabjuous day you find one, the Laguna looks sweet.

There's also Craigslist, which I think is more useful than eBay for finding a bandsaw that isn't halfway across the country.  That's where I found  my 14" Delta.  You might have to be patient and diligent until one shows up.  The nice thing about these bandsaws is that parts are easy to find.

"Delta" bandsaws made in Taiwan or China, as I believe those two from eBay are, aren't real Deltas, at least not to me. I don't know when they stopped making them in USA, but USA made Deltas are the ones worth seeking out. Apologies if I'm raining on someone's Asian Delta parade, but that's JMHO.

9 minutes ago, MarkBouquet said:

"Delta" bandsaws made in Taiwan or China, as I believe those two from eBay are, aren't real Deltas, at least not to me. I don't know when they stopped making them in USA, but USA made Deltas are the ones worth seeking out. Apologies if I'm raining on someone's Asian Delta parade, but that's JMHO.

Delta isn't actually Delta anymore. It's just a namesake. The "Delta" rep comes to my store and he mentioned to me how the company was new and still feeling things out. The new company under the "Delta" brand is trying to build it back into a reputable tool company from what I've heard. 

17 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

That's an adaptation of Carter's "Stabilizer" blade guide that's available for most modern bandsaws. And the saw is just another Asian bandsaw in all other respects. Please bear in mind that you can't cut an f-hole with a bandsaw, because how would you get the blade into there to start.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:14 AM, MarkBouquet said:

2 hours ago, MarkBouquet said:

That's an adaptation of Carter's "Stabilizer" blade guide that's available for most modern bandsaws. And the saw is just another Asian bandsaw in all other respects. Please bear in mind that you can't cut an f-hole with a bandsaw, because how would you get the blade into there to start.

Yeah I'm aware of the Crater guide system. For all blades 3/16" and under I always recommended it. Believe it or not, the do use band saws in metal working to cut holes out. The machine cuts and re welds the blade on the spot once it's fished through the starter hole. Cool stuff. 

16 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Yeah I'm aware of the Crater guide system. For all blades 3/16" and under I always recommended it. Believe it or not, the do use band saws in metal working to cut holes out. The machine cuts and re welds the blade on the spot once it's fished through the starter hole. Cool stuff. 

Had to read that twice. Thought you had lost it there for a minute Nick!

4 hours ago, scordatura said:

Had to read that twice. Thought you had lost it there for a minute Nick!

Damn. I'm getting used to a new keyboard on my laptop. I hate Chiclet keyboards!

2 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Damn. I'm getting used to a new keyboard on my laptop. I hate Chiclet keyboards!

It was the concept. Re-welds itself... That's what got me for a second. :P