Sign in to follow this  
JacksonMaberry

If you had to choose - Scroll vs Band Saw

Hey folks,

Setting up my new shop in WA, and trying to figure out the last few pieces in my kit. At the IU shop, I had a bandsaw and a scroll saw. I'd use the band for plate and scroll outlines, and the scroll for roughing f holes. I don't see any reason I couldn't do it all with a high end scroll saw, like the Exalibur, larger Jet models, or Seyco. If I can get away with only one of the two, I'd prefer to spare the space. I'd appreciate y'alls thoughts.

Thanks

J

Bandsaw. I think trying to rough out f holes with the scroll saw would be more tedious than it's worth. I use a knife. I cut the sides of the f holes perpendicular to the curving top which would be hard with a scroll saw.

You don't need any of them but I would always prefer a good bandsaw over any other power tool in the workshop. The smooth and quiet behavior is unequaled. 

15 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

I've been wanting an excuse to get a Laguna 14 anyway

A good start... but then you need a bigger bandsaw too.:)

I can't imagine trying to manage with just a scroll saw.  Although it is nice for a few things, it would be a real pain for a lot of other things.  Don't you need to resaw anything?

1 minute ago, Don Noon said:

A good start... but then you need a bigger bandsaw too.:)

I can't imagine trying to manage with just a scroll saw.  Although it is nice for a few things, it would be a real pain for a lot of other things.  Don't you need to resaw anything?

What do I need the bigger saw for?

I have a dear friend, a cabinet maker, in town with two bandsaws, one of which is always set up for resawing. He's kind enough to let me drop in when I need to.

16 minutes ago, Michael_Molnar said:

The biggest and best bandsaw you can afford.

Or his lovely wife will allow.

1 hour ago, JacksonMaberry said:

What do I need the bigger saw for?

I have a dear friend, a cabinet maker, in town with two bandsaws, one of which is always set up for resawing. He's kind enough to let me drop in when I need to.

Then one good 14" bandsaw should be fine.  

3 hours ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Bandsaw, hands down.

2 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

What Tommy said.

What Julian said about what Tommy said.  

Bandsaw for sure. If I could have my choice a Walker -Turner 16 inch with the screw operated table tilt would be  ideal but my 14 inch Rockwell with the column extension has served me very well over the years.

3 hours ago, duane88 said:

Or his lovely wife will allow.

Yup.  :)

Agree bandsaw as well. Great for the most labour intensive tasks like re-sawing. I don't bother with a bandsaw for cutting out plates etc - i use a bow saw now. The time it takes to switch the bandsaw and set it up, i can have the plates sawn out by hand. 

27 minutes ago, Urban Luthier said:

The time it takes to switch the bandsaw and set it up, i can have the plates sawn out by hand. 

That's my justification for having 2 bandsaws.

1 hour ago, Urban Luthier said:

Agree bandsaw as well. Great for the most labour intensive tasks like re-sawing. I don't bother with a bandsaw for cutting out plates etc - i use a bow saw now. The time it takes to switch the bandsaw and set it up, i can have the plates sawn out by hand. 

Wanna race? :D

A scroll saw has very limited use in violin making compared to what you can do with a bandsaw. Don't buy a flimsy, sheet metal and plastic bandsaw, but a heavy cast iron unit with good blade guides and a quality drive system. Buy once, cry once.