Sign in to follow this  
JasonLee

Hill bow with tortoiseshell and gold

1 hour ago, Rue said:

67295968-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=2jaguar-e-type-series-i0002_B-610x343.jpg

Does the green 1973ish Jaguar type E look better than the  mint 1974 Jaguar type E?

Just wonderin'...

That made me laugh: except for the fact that British cars are famous for having interminable electrical problems, I would be content with either one

1 hour ago, Rue said:

67295968-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=2jaguar-e-type-series-i0002_B-610x343.jpg

Does the green 1973ish Jaguar type E look better than the  mint 1974 Jaguar type E?

Just wonderin'...

Which is mint, and which has been highly massaged?

Kinda like fiddles.

38 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

image.png.82c7c6ec7f5a1edbea1fdd310234765c.png

But you really want one of these :-)  Lots more everything and the body doesn't rust!

DLB

Already got one. Drop by and drive it any time you like, Dwight.

Other forum members too, as long as you have a little experience with handling high-powered cars. Lacking that, It can bite some people in the azz quite badly. 

Most of the fun, for me, has been in sharing the experience.

38 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

That made me laugh: except for the fact that British cars are famous for having interminable electrical problems, I would be content with either one

Reminds me of why there are no ice cubes in Britain......Lucas refrigerators.

18 minutes ago, Greg F. said:

Reminds me of why there are no ice cubes in Britain......Lucas refrigerators.

Hah, Lucas electrics. Legendary!

One time I was crossing a mountain pass on a Triumph motorcycle, in the middle of the night. The headlight and all the gauges inexplicably stopped working. Thank goodness for the snow on both sides of the road which helped me know where the road was in the starlight.

Came to a motel. I was so hypothermic, and my hands were so cold that I couldn't even sign my name on the registration form. Yes, I tried. The elderly lady behind the desk said, "That's OK hon, just get to your room and draw  yourself a hot bath, and we'll settle up in the morning.

The next day, and ever after, the headlight and the gauges worked fine. :lol:

I still have a huge crush on that woman.

56 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Already got one. Drop by and drive it any time you like, Dwight.

Other forum members too, as long as you have a little experience with handling high-powered cars. Lacking that, It can bite some people in the azz quite badly. 

Most of the fun, for me, has been in sharing the experience.

A man after my own heart!  I have a 2018 Torch Red Stingray with 7 speed manual .  only 455 HP but plenty of fun :-)  Best part is my morning commute is 30 miles with only one traffic light and a speed limit of 75.  It really is the bargain in preformance cars.  I'm hopping that the toothfairy brings me a C8 in four or five years.

DLB

16 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

A man after my own heart!  I have a 2018 Torch Red Stingray with 7 speed manual .  only 455 HP but plenty of fun :-)  Best part is my morning commute is 30 miles with only one traffic light and a speed limit of 75.  It really is the bargain in preformance cars.  I'm hopping that the toothfairy brings me a C8 in four or five years.

DLB

The C8 is looking very interesting. The reveal date is 7/18/19. I probably can't afford a new car anytime soon.

A guestimate of the new mid-engine Corvette appearance, based on various spy photos:

rgeen_ec1e81e4cd3391aeeaf43e6e4294591d47

:angry:

Now I'm sorry I used a car example to illustrate my question, because it turned this into a car thread - and my question will never be answered!

49 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

The C8 is looking very interesting. The reveal date is 7/18/19. I probably can't afford a new car anytime soon.

A guestimate of the new mid-engine Corvette appearance, based on various spy photos:

rgeen_ec1e81e4cd3391aeeaf43e6e4294591d47

But can you get a cello in it?

23 minutes ago, Rue said:

Now I'm sorry I used a car example to illustrate my question, because it turned this into a car thread - and my question will never be answered!

My favorite car-not really but close- was a lovely 1978 AMC Gremlin, It was painted fawn beige, Which was the most boring color available any car in the world in 1978, but it was fast the AC would blast you, and it was tons of fun to drive, and it had no electrical problems. I eventually sold it on eBay. It was the only car I ever sold for a profit.

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Sorry, but you know there are some serious gear heads here. I take the blame for topic drift. On another front I’m pretty sure a ‘cello would fit fine in my car. The C8 has a rear mid engine and I doubt it would fit in the frunk.  

Interestingly the debate as to whether an original patina look is more desirable than a fully restored perfectly shiny car is a hot topic in the collector car world. Quite a number of parallels. I’m afraid that includes eye wateringly high prices.

DLB

10 hours ago, Rue said:

I'll try, Rue. In the bow market, mint original condition is what is most highly valued, all other things being equal. And with new bows, unlike fiddles, artificial antiquing has never really caught on, and is pretty much non-existent. Why the difference? I don't have an answer.

Philip, a cello will probably go in it, by putting the case upside down in the passenger seat, with the head of the case in the footwell.

Dwight, using the term "Frunk" suggests that you're pretty hardcore. :lol:   For others, it's  a reference to having the trunk in the front of the car, where the engine is on most cars. The new Corvette will have the engine behind the driver.

6 hours ago, David Burgess said:

The new Corvette will have the engine behind the driver.

Really??? No way............Is this their  attempt at Ferrari-izing?

30 minutes ago, Jeff White said:

Sort of, they had basically taken the front engine layout as far as it could go and were getting left behind by mid engine cars.

Favorite car of mine was a 1979 Chevette, 90hp, <2000lbs, RWD, manual steering, manual brakes. Could not break that thing, great for off roading, had a towing hitch...

1979Chevette_700.jpg

55 minutes ago, Jeff White said:

The most powerful version of the Corvette, at 750 horsepower, is severely traction-limited under acceleration. It will spin the tires, in some situations, at 60+ miles per hour. Shifting more of the weight over the drive wheels should substantially improve this. This will supposedly also leave room for electric motors to drive the front wheels eventually, which is the least complex and lowest-weight way of achieving all-wheel drive, and also adding even more power. There are a couple of high-end performance cars which are already doing this. Could also allow hybrid operation, including the fuel economy benefits of regenerative braking.

There's more, but I'll leave it at that for now, in deference to Rue.

12 minutes ago, Three13 said:

You can, but only with a wood chipper...

If you save all the chips, they can be re-assembled back into a cello. ;)

6 hours ago, Spelman said:

Sort of, they had basically taken the front engine layout as far as it could go and were getting left behind by mid engine cars.

Favorite car of mine was a 1979 Chevette, 90hp, <2000lbs, RWD, manual steering, manual brakes. Could not break that thing, great for off roading, had a towing hitch...

1979Chevette_700.jpg

Colleague of mine had an 84 Chevette, And his father searched long and hard to find a two door Chevette Without one single option. No radio, no AC, no fifth gear on the shifter, no floor mat, and the interior can only be described as “prison gray.” He drove that car literally into the ground. I think he eventually just left it by the side of the road, but it wasn’t for several years.

Well - not to stray back on topic - but thanks guys! ^_^

2 minutes ago, Rue said:

Skoda Estelle fits a cello in the back seat and has the bodywork and paint job better than anything and it has the engine in the boot. It's got go faster stripes and on a 70 degree downhill road it weights heavier than the sun and WILL beat anything. Uphill 72 degree lollipop gear stick once I got it in 1st was shear willpower to get the beast from not dragging itself and occupant to their death. It's headlights where great. If it was a Violin bow it would be a Czech! I tailspin awuaplaned mine round black ice bend, and it spun a 360 and stormed at an articulated lorry without any damage. I just knocked it into neutral applied handbrake and it was like bloody swan lake in it's pirouette coming to a perfect, coda! The lorry driver was v impressed.

49 minutes ago, Rue said:

Speaking of Gold Hill Bows...

i can get a cello in this one. Yup, this is a nice bow...

8DCB6096-BA90-49E7-9521-9B5A4B531450.jpeg

9868942A-D240-48B5-A411-CD49B72CA9E6.jpeg

5C5FE6D3-6BC5-4AB8-90E2-3225B70BE023.jpeg

76DFE923-D081-4E46-A07F-0256A8DA220F.jpeg

J

WP_20180726_21_01_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.65836c8058f18aa093a958c34c8c60bd.jpgVery nice shades of red u got there.

I've got a Be Ute of a violin red colour which I achieved by mixing Renaissance pigment powder with Dammar varnish, pure Turpentine, and a sponge. Yes it is powder mixed and as you can see, it's London bus red on black Ebony but, it's only been on a day. Its best not to work at Ford Halewood plant. The robots don't do a good job at all. I'm just messing around with pigment powders.

WP_20190628_16_16_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20190628_16_21_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20190628_16_23_23_Pro.jpgThis poor violin I have ruined my f holes as I got a long pencil trapped in it tried to get it out through the f holes. Made a mess! In the end I opened it up. Should have done that first, or should never have watched youtube crank using a pencil in the endpon hole to varnish it. Nevermind we live and learn.

The last photo is of an old violin which I restored and also restored the varnish. It's very RED looking there but in another lighting it's browner. That is the problem with this Cremona red. As someone said it's best seeing it in the flesh. Then you can see that Stradivari et all would have been using the pine resin, animal glue, Harderning varnish like Dammar to get that RED, then burnished to a shaded look. V. Tricky. And good to justify the use of oils used with hardened Dammar oil varnish which really is tricky to use.

WP_20190504_009.jpg

17 hours ago, David Burgess said:

If you save all the chips, they can be re-assembled back into a cello. ;)

I think there was a thread where Jacob Saunders did that with a fiddle...

(the re-assembly half).