Sign in to follow this  
Harry C.

Antique Violin - Help with Unknown Brand

Recommended Posts

We have the possession of this antique violin, and so far unable to find its history.

Can anyone please help us with the brand name, price range, age, or any information regarding this item? 

We could provide more pictures if needed. 

 

Regards

Bobby

20190624_134154.jpg

20190624_134241.jpg

20190624_134206.jpg

20190624_134159.jpg

20190603_150718.jpg

20190530_114553.jpg

20190603_150734.jpg

20190624_134148.jpg

20190624_134253.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an inexpensive Saxon fiddle so the "brand name " is presumably fictional. There are people here who can read this type of script so they may be able to tell you what it says. The bows however may be interesting and photos showing the profile of the sides of the head and frog may get some ideas about their origin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Harry C. said:

We have the possession of this antique violin, and so far unable to find its history.

Can anyone please help us with the brand name, price range, age, or any information regarding this item? 

We could provide more pictures if needed. 

 

Regards

Bobby

 

 

 

 

 

20190603_150718.jpg

 

20190603_150734.jpg

 

 

The label reads "Ernst(?) Sulzar", whoever he was, probably a dealer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jwillis said:

Carl Vulzar. It’s a fictional trade name as stated above 

Carl Vulzar was a name used by the Rudolf Wurlitzer Company, as indicated by the RWC logo to the right.  William Chadwick was among the other names used by Wurlitzer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jwillis said:

Carl Vulzar. It’s a fictional trade name as stated above 

The fish, standing on it's nose, is in the 19th.C. German Kurentschrift alphabet, a capital "S" and not a "V"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Carl Vulzar was a name used by the Rudolf Wurlitzer Company, as indicated by the RWC logo to the right.  William Chadwick was among the other names used by Wurlitzer.

So William Chadwick also fictional? No such person or shop?

Thanks, Nate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

William Chadwick is not listed by Henley, Jalovec or Harvey.  I believe that Brian Harvey's book contains the most complete and authoritative list of British makers.

I once sold a "William Chadwick" violin to Reggie Williams.  He said he had to have it because his brother's first name is Chadwick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.