Sign in to follow this  
Pearl0890

Matteo Mazzotti violin

1 hour ago, Pearl0890 said:

Anyone have experience with his work or have any input?

Never seen one in person, but one with an interesting back just sold at Tarisio London (Lot 147) for approx $4,600 USD. 

In that case, Pearl, it's you that can tell us about the maker and his work.  What drew you to this maker and this particular instrument?

In a not so distant past I owned one that I purchased directly from the maker. The violin sounded ok nothing special, loud/strong and with a terrible wolf on some notes in first and third position. 

I parted with it as luthiers I showed it to said it was Chinese. I still remember one luthier saying "no self respecting Cremonese maker carves such a scroll" and "did  mister Mazzotti have Chinese eyes?"

At the time (2011?) he sold the violin for either 2000 or 2500 euro... you can ask yourself if it is possible to make a living if you spent x amount of hours making a violin and getting paid so little.

In the end he got upset when I confronted him with the opinion of his colleagues  and posted some things on facebook in a not so friendly manner. Italian temperament? Let's hope his current output sounds better.

I took a huge chance on this violin.  Fingers crossed it sounds good.  I’ve been wanting a contemporary Italian violin for awhile now and just can’t afford a 20K price tag at this time. 

I don’t wish to be rude, but it’s beyond me why anyone would buy a modern Italian violin simply because it’s Italian, without trying it and assessing the sound.

Maybe you can explain it to me?

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

I don’t wish to be rude, but it’s beyond me why anyone would buy a modern Italian violin simply because it’s Italian, without trying it and assessing the sound.

Maybe you can explain it to me?

Some people purchase first-growth Bordeauxs, because they have heard that they are the best wine ever, only to open a bottle and be confused.

On 6/25/2019 at 3:55 AM, Pearl0890 said:

I took a huge chance on this violin.  Fingers crossed it sounds good.  I’ve been wanting a contemporary Italian violin for awhile now and just can’t afford a 20K price tag at this time. 

the "made in Italy" adds something like 4 or 5K to the price of a violin. So if you buy a 5K violin that's alledgedly made in Italy there is a substantial risk you're not buying an exquisitie piece of workmanship (which I believe is what many people think is the free translation of "made in Italy") but rather a Chinese factory made instrument that may or may not have spent some time in Italy.

4 hours ago, Herman West said:

the "made in Italy" adds something like 4 or 5K to the price of a violin. So if you buy a 5K violin that's alledgedly made in Italy there is a substantial risk you're not buying an exquisitie piece of workmanship (which I believe is what many people think is the free translation of "made in Italy") but rather a Chinese factory made instrument that may or may not have spent some time in Italy.

Just by having spent some time in Italy, it may have picked up something of the legendary Italian tone from the air, coffee, scooters, passing Ferraris*, so it won't matter to the purchaser where it was made.

* Not scientifically proven

If it's sold by a maker as his own, then it has that maker's seal of approval just as his own would, so does it even matter if he made it?  Hypothetically.

5 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

If it's sold by a maker as his own, then it has that maker's seal of approval just as his own would, so does it even matter if he made it?  Hypothetically.

It rather depends on if we are talking about art, or conceptual art. 

No one would think for a minute that Armani sews those suits himself, but everyone takes for granted that Van Gogh did his own painting. Violin making is a field somewhere in the middle between art and conceptual art, where there is not only a lot of leeway, but also fluctuation of standards over the years. That said, most reputable makers, in Cremona at least, will certify if they made the instrument mostly by themselves, or if they are "workshop instruments" wholly made by paid hands. In the latter event, they will charge of course less. 

Right.  There are lots of ways to look at it though.  One of them might be the customer is ultimately buying the maker's vision.  No matter what the maker does, the customer will receive that :)

On 6/27/2019 at 5:29 PM, duane88 said:

Some people purchase first-growth Bordeauxs, because they have heard that they are the best wine ever, only to open a bottle and be confused.

Or, rather, something with the name "Bordeaux" on the label, and then wonder why it isn't a '59 Latour.

That's where market forces, fueled by an implausible plurality of truths, comes into play. 

In the '70s Straw Hat Pizza Co aired a commercial explaining that pizza was invented in the Italian town of… Pizza. There they had an annual pizza making festival in which the winning pizza-maker got carried around wearing the Straw Hat as a sort of crown.

It was 100% BS - pizza was invented in Naples - but people believed it and flocked to their pizza parlors nonetheless.  

15 hours ago, Ernee said:

Or, rather, something with the name "Bordeaux" on the label, and then wonder why it isn't a '59 Latour.

I've had a 59 Latour. It was terrible/mediocre considering the value/cost of a bottle of 59 Latour. The 61 was wonderful, but the year of my birth, 65, was bad when it was new and wreched at 50, and 2003 remains my benchmark. ALL of the 70's that I have had were vinegar-worthy.

I believe that it was the Baron P. Rothchild who suggested that there are no great wines, only great bottles, although a lesser Strad is still a Strad.

13 hours ago, duane88 said:

I believe that it was the Baron P. Rothchild who suggested that there are no great wines, only great bottles, although a lesser Strad is still a Strad.

Technically this doesn't make sense. All bottles of the same vintage should be identical, given good storage.

The thing however is, storing wines for fifty years isn't really necessary anymore. Winemaking has evolved to a point where there are hundreds of excellent wines that can be drunk within five years from harvest.

19 hours ago, Herman West said:

Technically this doesn't make sense. All bottles of the same vintage should be identical, given good storage.

The thing however is, storing wines for fifty years isn't really necessary anymore. Winemaking has evolved to a point where there are hundreds of excellent wines that can be drunk within five years from harvest.

I would say that violins and wine have some parallels. 

One instrument by a maker is wonderful, the next just ok. Bottle to bottle variability is well documented. 

On 6/30/2019 at 12:03 PM, duane88 said:

I believe that it was the Baron P. Rothchild who suggested that there are no great wines, only great bottles,

I remember a dirt cheap Rothschild wine from my college days that was literally almost undrinkable.  But the bottle was great because it said Rothschild

22 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

I remember a dirt cheap Rothschild wine from my college days that was literally almost undrinkable.  But the bottle was great because it said Rothschild

Mouton...