Sign in to follow this  
Michael Tse

Unaligned peg hole advice

Hello, I have a violin that has unaligned A and E peg holes where the small end is about 1 to 1.2mm out.

677796699_unnamed(1).thumb.jpg.84ef9815826cfdda280fbe6c39d77e35.jpg

Is it better to fill in the non aligned holes and redrill or make the holes bigger? I'm going to fit wittner perfectionist pegs which have medium and large sizes.

If filling in the hole and redrilling what is the minimum tools needed for the job?

I'm a complete beginner!

Thanks

Michael

If you are a complete beginner you should get a professional to install your pegs. This is a simple job but requires some fairly expensive specialized tools and if you mess up you can turn the simple job into a much more involved one. If you are trying to get the pegs aligned properly while installing the Wittners there may need to be wood added in the form of a bushing. A trained luthier will be able to evaluate the situation pretty easily.

As a beginner, with no tools, you shouldn't try this yourself!  You risk messing thing s up to the point where a repair would cost way more than the original job would cost. Take it to a good luthier. 

As long as the pegs hold well that's a very minor problem that is probably not worth messing around with until it gets worse.

You could try some peg dope compound or soap and chalk to take up that extra space and

push the pegs back out a little.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I checked with luthier and it will cost £120 ($153) for bushing  per peg and £170 ($216) to fit the pegs (which includes the pegs).  That's a lot as I only paid $170 for the violin from ebay. I'm going to go with donbarzino for the time being and not do anything as the 7.8mm pegs fits in the existing holes without needing any enlarging. If the violin sounds good I'll take to the luthier to get done professionally otherwise will try to do it myself in the future after learning how to do the bushing.