Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Surely this is Juzek Master Art-ish?

This is another auction violin. I’m not going to buy it, it has two awful belly cracks. But I’m curious.

I’m sharing because the wood, varnish, and F-hole notches look a lot like the several Juzek Master Art copies I’ve owned in the past.

I don’t think it is a Juzek Master Art. The label is of course nothing like any Juzek label, and appears to have been trimmed, but it looks so much like them I’m wondering if the violin may have come from the same factory that produced the Master Arts? 

These are the photos from the auction site, which, once again, aren’t very revealing.

Thanks for any insight.

03046326-5668-4444-B827-9F7CC924BF40.jpeg

39E4D64E-5AC1-4646-A210-7E047B3E0D90.jpeg

339CC79A-3B99-48FB-8C56-284E713AB103.jpeg

73826868-4B6C-4372-809C-801204686EE8.jpeg

Edited by PhilipKT
Forgot to include the pics

Metropolitan Music Company likely bought stuff from all sorts of wholesalers in the 99 years they have been in business, so it shouldn't be that surprising if one Schonbach violin might quite look like another Schonbach violin of a similar quality and age. I wonder which Continent the current Juzek brand violins are made?

Edited by Televet
spelling

10 minutes ago, Televet said:

Metropolitan Music Company likely bought stuff from all sorts of wholesalers in the 99 years they have been in business, so it shouldn't be that surprising if one Shonbach violin might quite look like another Shonbach violin of a similar quality and age. I wonder which Continent the current Juzek brand violins are made?

Is schonbach one of those locations that shuffled between Czechoslovakia and Germany? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby_(Cheb_District)

Jacob would describe it as a short walk across the border from Markneukirchen for a person with a sack-full or perhaps a wheelbarrow full of violins or violin parts. Labour was always cheaper on that side of the border and many Markneukirchen wholesalers would have sourced violins from there. Somewhere on this site, Jacob has posted a fabulous summary of the 19th Century side of the trade, but it went on pretty much unchanged until all the unpleasantness of the Nazi Era and subsequent Post war division of Europe.

9 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

...the wood, varnish, and F-hole notches look a lot like the several Juzek Master Art copies I’ve owned...

You've had copies of Master Arts?

Master Arts were typically made with neck grafts.  I can't tell if the violin in the pictures is grafted or not.  They also typically had diamond-shaped brass inlays in the peg heads and the tailpieces and round bass dots in the end pins.  The violin in the picture does not have these.  The grafts and inlays are superficial details, so their lack does not disprove your conjecture that this violin could have come from a shop that made Master Arts.

1 hour ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Master Arts were typically made with neck grafts.  I can't tell if the violin in the pictures is grafted or not.  They also typically had diamond-shaped brass inlays in the peg heads and the tailpieces and round bass dots in the end pins.  The violin in the picture does not have these.  The grafts and inlays are superficial details, so their lack does not disprove your conjecture that this violin could have come from a shop that made Master Arts.

I have owned three master arts, and none of them had grafted necks. They did have the brass inlays on the pegs and I don’t recall anything about their endpins. None of them had those silly inlaid ivory shields, either, which kind of disappointed me: silly or not, I thought they were kind of cool.

The earlier Juzek MAs usually had neck grafts. The later ones not so much. Sometimes I think they just slapped the master art labels in the ones that had more flamey wood. IMO the best ones tonally are actually from the 1960s and 70s which look like high grade Roman Teller.

5 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

By the way, I just realized I said “copies of master arts” and I should’ve said “master copies of Maggini and Strad” Because the three that I own included one Maggini and two Strad copies.

They were actually very nice violins. Well-made, Good wood, good sound.

In my untrained eyes, it is more a generic factory Schonbach than anything else, thought it could sing beautifully.

I have a Strad copy Juzek Master Art (MA) posted in MN previously that has some of the taletell features of the MA.

I really like MAs because of the consistent good tonal quality.

57 minutes ago, puckfandan said:

I have had a few Juzek Master Arts...and this one is not the same quality.

Can you identify what you see that leads to your opinion? I’d love to know.  This instrument is damaged, and the pictures aren’t very revealing, but it seems to be good wood, And I guess I’m taking on faith that the appearance indicates a certain level of construction quality, but I guess that itself could be incorrect. I can’t really comment on the varnish, But the varnish looks pretty good,  it seems to bring out the wood without covering it, although it doesn’t seem very multifaceted. Do you mind sharing what you see? That’s really why I post these pictures, looking for insight from those who know. 

8 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Can you identify what you see that leads to your opinion? I’d love to know.  This instrument is damaged, and the pictures aren’t very revealing, but it seems to be good wood, And I guess I’m taking on faith that the appearance indicates a certain level of construction quality, but I guess that itself could be incorrect. I can’t really comment on the varnish, But the varnish looks pretty good,  it seems to bring out the wood without covering it, although it doesn’t seem very multifaceted. Do you mind sharing what you see? That’s really why I post these pictures, looking for insight from those who know. 

I think Brad covered most of it except the varnish. Most MA’s have a softer and less gloss in the varnish. To me this looks like a mid grade, and may pass for a standard “Juzek”. From what I’ve seen, the nicer master art instruments are very comparable to the nicer Roth’s....they also look like the Karl Hermann Morelli fiddles (mine has a Made in Czechoslovakia brand)

3 hours ago, puckfandan said:

I think Brad covered most of it except the varnish. Most MA’s have a softer and less gloss in the varnish. To me this looks like a mid grade, and may pass for a standard “Juzek”. From what I’ve seen, the nicer master art instruments are very comparable to the nicer Roth’s....they also look like the Karl Hermann Morelli fiddles (mine has a Made in Czechoslovakia brand)

Thank you! I’ve also owned two Morelli violins, one red and a yellow/blonde one, which were great.