Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Old Double Violin Case - Stradivarius Workshop


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

The "Certificate of Authenticity" doesn't really "certify" that it is an authentic anything. :D

Actually, the certification reads that the case was, in the opinion of the certifier, quote, "made in Italy in the 18th century, probably between 1720 and 1770 circa." and then proceeds to describe why. (note: Stradivari died in 1737)

Yes, it's the case the Tarisio had at auction, no, it didn't sell and in my opinion the reason why is that it needs to be restored before it can fetch a reasonable price. I did suggest to the owner the name of a person who has restored cases like this one before and I hope he will eventually have the work done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dimitri Musafia said:

Actually, the certification reads that the case was, in the opinion of the certifier, quote, "made in Italy in the 18th century, probably between 1720 and 1770 circa." and then proceeds to describe why. (note: Stradivari died in 1737)

Read closely, it is a very hedged document, and not really an authentication of anything. In fact, some of the primary description argues against it being "made in Italy in the 18th century" such as "The positioning of the 2 violins is inverted compared to most baroque-era Italian double cases" and the Morocco leather exterior "which presents a linear hatching as opposed to the more prevalent cross-hatching of the period." Plus "The leather joinery is protected by studs, which may be original, and are laterally offset instead of being paired vertically as in most baroque-era cases."

The only real argument made for authentically being "made in Italy in the 18th century" is the interior leather "similar in both consistency and color" two other baroque-era cases, which is very weak evidence of anything. Many parts of the case seems to be of unknown origin, age, and originality, and therefore do not support the "made in Italy in the 18th century" opinion.

Just to be clear, Musafia does not attribute this case to "A.Stradivari Work Shop" as the eBay seller dishonestly claims he does.

Just my opinion.

 

 

s-l1600.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

The only real argument made for authentically being "made in Italy in the 18th century" is the interior leather "similar in both consistency and color" two other baroque-era cases, which is very weak evidence of anything. Many parts of the case seems to be of unknown origin, age, and originality, and therefore do not support the "made in Italy in the 18th century" opinion.

Just to be clear, Musafia does not attribute this case to "A.Stradivari Work Shop" as the eBay seller dishonestly claims he does.

For those who study baroque violin cases, the expertise quoted lists quite more than enough elements to confirm that this is indeed an Italian case of the period, and not of German, French, or English origin. That said, the expertise does not suggest that the case is from the Stradivari workshop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
On 6/18/2019 at 6:18 AM, Dimitri Musafia said:

For those who study baroque violin cases, the expertise quoted lists quite more than enough elements to confirm that this is indeed an Italian case of the period, and not of German, French, or English origin. That said, the expertise does not suggest that the case is from the Stradivari workshop.

I missed this thread when it was around. Are there any images of the Stradivari workshop case that is mentioned in the COA above in the public domain?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I meant the case Dmitri describes in the COA as “attributed to the Stradivari workshop (private collection)” - I’m wondering whether it’s one of the ones from the article that was published in 2018, or if it’s another one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the “Milan” case is the holster case that he refers to in the COA. 

Based upon the language of the COA, it appears that the other case mentioned isn’t a holster case, so I’m wondering whether it’s one of the two double cases he found that matched the paper template in the Museo Stradivariano a couple years ago, or if it’s something else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...