Sign in to follow this  
Isaacpc

Walnut linings in violin and origin?

Hi all, 

i am a new member to the maestronet community and am curious what you all think of this fiddle. The linings are walnut I think which is totally a shocker for me. Has anyone seen walnut linings before? Is this particular to a school? The scroll is long and narrow and makes me think a figure head was going on the scroll then the maker changed direction... the linings are let in I think...wax seal is totally to worn to see anything (not that I know what one would do with the information), the back is 352mm, varnish looks original, looks like maple purfling for all three pieces, I am not sure how one can tell when pins are placed, they appear to be ebony though. Any thoughts? I hope this is of interest for you all! If you want more photos let me know.

A4E32649-85FA-4A0E-B0C0-22695147C733.thumb.jpeg.5e5d8d421e695d11a2a35349046deea3.jpeg

0D1CABE7-E224-43FF-89A0-A1C535217A7A.jpeg

FCD28AE8-30AC-4D95-9FBF-B48F15A0B815.jpeg

29C5702F-EF93-4BB5-AE2A-BF3E161BCC81.jpeg

011EC8D3-3680-4AE7-8572-451A350EE08C.jpeg

EF169488-2052-4F47-8373-9EA591F53920.jpeg

2DFCC057-237B-44C0-A76A-2DFDB6CACAA8.jpeg

38E888D6-4833-4352-B485-5C8FAB6DF7C5.jpeg

Stainer and Widhalm family are the most talked about, I believe. I have a modern viola that has (what looks like) walnut linings. Cool fiddle.

Sincce Stainer used walnut linings, several people copied that, notably Widhalm and sometimes some Viennese. I have a similar violin, although with a Lions-head, and I dont know what that is either. If pressed, I say Füssen School ca,1730, but in reality I have been waiting around 25 years for a similar one to walk into the shop with an original label

Sorry Jacob, I was just directing him to a discussion of violins with walnut linings.

Hoping to encourage the more frequent use of the search function...

1 hour ago, Isaacpc said:

2DFCC057-237B-44C0-A76A-2DFDB6CACAA8.jpeg

What's puzzling me a bit is that the corner block wood looks as if added later and the bottom linings are looking somehow different to the upper, with different grain and maybe coloured? I'm supposing that Engleder could have manipulated the appearance somehow and that there are possibly different blocks hidden under the spruce(pine?) covers. Could the OP post a bird view photo of a cleand up corner? This could give some more clue, also about the construction method of the ribs.

Otherwise I agree that this is an interesting fiddle.

Some apects like the squarish upper bouts, ff as well as the walnut linings are reminding me of the Scheinleins of Nürnberg, an instrument (though of a slightly different model) was discussed here

Thank you for your replies! Fascinating. The walnut purfling in the photo has summer growth white color on the bottom lining, hence the color variation of both bottom pieces. It tricked me at first but they appear to be walnut. The corner blocks are puzzling. Interesting idea about seen if they were added. I’ll clean a corner so we can have a better view of the corner and post a photo.  In the mean time here is a full body shot of the inside. It might bring up questions. Also the top appears to be one piece. Do you think a dendro report would bring anything up on an instrument like this? The one piece top seems unique...762720AE-3350-4A9D-850E-596A08B0BE81.thumb.jpeg.ac33bcad764ed4ef5d8a5e2e7bf43fb9.jpeg

5 hours ago, Isaacpc said:

I have been digging and schorn used walnut I am gathering. Is that right? 

I also have a Andreas Ferdinand Mayr from Salzburg, 1727 with walnut linings,. but walnut linings alone is too little to go on, since it looks just as Little a Mayr/Schön as it does Widhalm

It is difficult to be certain from the limited photos, but the corner blocks & linings are looking like later replacements, along with the neck block.

One piece tops are by no means unique, and your idea about the scroll is way, way off the mark.

Here are pictures of two clean corners. Blank face was correct! There are two corner blocks in each corner. Any ideas why? It looks like the second was added later by a repair man we can confidently say. Possibly for more glue surface for the top? The inner blocks I believe are NOT walnut. I can’t tell the wood type precisely from the end grain side but my gut says spruce. Would you all leave or remove the “new” corner blocks? (Possibly installed by engleder in 1842).

I add a requested photo of the saddle lower rib area. I think the detail is original. Any ideas why that would have been done? Thank you all, this is so much fun! Isaac ECF650C6-0C89-4259-A5C5-55DE07ED837D.thumb.jpeg.1f176d1810150f5b6abd2eecb7982a05.jpeg

EA38ED4E-B0AE-4690-B054-A9DAABDAB4D8.jpeg

4741C43C-BEAA-4C75-A0E5-0E6E6CEFBEF1.jpeg